Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

LPW covers + Spohn Panhard= dont fit!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:38 AM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Default LPW covers + Spohn Panhard= dont fit!!

Today I was going to install my LPW extralowprofile ultra-pro cover, BMR Panhard Brace and Spohn Panhard Bar. First I installed my cover and got everything torqued to specs. Then I moved on to putting the brace on and got that, then I tried to put the Panhard bar on, but to my frustration......It DID NOT fit. I hit the load bolts sticking out about 1/2" - 3/4", I double checked that I tightened them down, they were already tight so WTF!! I put all the weight on the axle to check and see if that was the problem (dont have a lift, just jacks and stands), still did nothing to help.I thought I was suspose to not need a relocation bracket. I am going to double check to make sure that they sent me the correct cover tommorow, but it did seem pretty shallow. So if I did something wrong I would love to be enlightened.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:26 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: LPW covers + Spohn Panhard= dont fit!!

I have the CHE bar with the LPW cover and have plenty of clearance. The Spohn bar must really be large to hit the bolts. I guess you can send it back or get the offset bracket that BMR makes.

Earl
Old 01-23-2007, 10:59 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Something is wierd here. I have the LPW cover and the Spohn panhard bar (adjustable) and they fit perfectly.

Are you sure you have the correct LPW cover? They make a few different ones for the 8.8" Ford rear end. The standard or the low-profile are not sufficent. You need the super-low-profile one specifically for the late model Mustangs.

If you do have the right cover, then you must have some strange geometry going on somewhere. Is your car lowered? what other rear end parts do you have?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:12 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Something is wierd here. I have the LPW cover and the Spohn panhard bar (adjustable) and they fit perfectly.

Are you sure you have the correct LPW cover? They make a few different ones for the 8.8" Ford rear end. The standard or the low-profile are not sufficent. You need the super-low-profile one specifically for the late model Mustangs.

If you do have the right cover, then you must have some strange geometry going on somewhere. Is your car lowered? what other rear end parts do you have?
That is what I was thinking too Al, if he has adjustable upper and lowers, he may have the rear end set back to far when the adjustments were done.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:12 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I am going to double check everything tonight, I am pretty sure that it is the right cover, not 100% sure. I also have adjustable lca's and I kinda was thinking that they had something to do with it, so i was gonna check my pinion angle because I am not lowered yet. My spohn barhas poly bushings on both ends and is also adjustable if that matters. I wasn't sure that the load bolts should be sticking out that mucheither. But the only thing to do is double check everything again.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:56 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

This may help:

On my LPW cover, the load bolts only sick out beyond the locknuts about the same thickness of the nut. So if the nut is about 1/4" thick, they stick out about 1/4" past the nut...not very far at all.

If your load bolts are set right, it may be that when LPW put your cover together, they used load bolts that were too long?

I have installed a poly-poly Spohn panhard before and they are exactly the same diameter as my "Combo" type. It should clear just fine!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:03 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I will check the load bolts when I try it again tonight and see if they are only that far out. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:05 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

I picked up a Used LPW cover, but I'm not going to install it till I do my gears..
You might want to snap some picks if you can't get it to fit so others can get a visual and help might be easier to give
Old 01-24-2007, 07:00 AM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I tried it again and no go. I ended up measuring how tall it was it it was about 3 3/4", not 3 1/8" like LPW site says there extralowprofile ultra-pro covers are. So i emailed the place where I bought it from (rearendparts.com) and told them I either need an exchange or a refund because the one they sent me isnt working and I might call them tommorow if the dont get back to me fast enough. Oh and I took some pics of it so you guys can see. I dont know if you can tell is from the pictures, but the passenger side of the panhard bar is about 1/2" or so from the holes even lining up.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24438/BD891E76B2B14970B117D3CC0CC3B786.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24438/D602C04B8C3D4ED5AD73A6450F2C5EE0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24438/22C115A372314366A6A4D5B0027CC09D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-24-2007, 10:54 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I think they sold you the wrong cover!

Looking at your pics, the whole cover sticks out too far.

Note that LPW makes three different covers for the 8.8 axle.

There's the "Standard" one for the older cars, the "low-profile" one for the previous generation of Mustangs & Explorer, and now there is the brand-new super-low-profile one specifically for the S197.

You need the latter one, part number 201-8.8. I think they shipped you one of the other two. If in doubt, buy directly from LPW.

Quick Reply: LPW covers + Spohn Panhard= dont fit!!