Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

underdrive pulley...is it safe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 05:19 PM
white02stallion

Default RE: underdrive pulley...is it safe?

I think that my LT purchase and labor was well worth it($2000 w/H-pipe)... I just purchased some BBK UDP's so i will see from there just how much bang you can get for your buck with them
Old 05-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

Do UDP's affect smog tests?
Old 05-17-2007, 05:58 PM
01Steed
I ♥ Acer

I think too many people overlook the dangers of running a pulley that is not tuned for their specific application. Steeda, for one, only offers one crank damper for all 4.6/5.4L apps. Ford uses a unique damper for each configuration...4.6 3V is NOT the same damper as a 4.6 2V, and on down the line. They are all tuned to dampen natural frequencies which fall into different ranges for each engine type.

That being said, we all know how sensitive our oil pump gears are, and any addedvibration in the rotating assembly is a danger to these gears. I'm not saying you WILL have a problem, just that it's a possibility.

It would be interesting to poll those with oil pump gear failures in otherwise stock trim, and see if they used u/d pullies.

Not a popular opinion, I know. But you asked about risks, and I'm just pointing one out.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:33 PM
grey06gt
1st Gear Member

I'm sure you can come up with a risk to almost any mod though right? Isn't that just sometimes part of doing what we do?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:48 PM
01Steed
I ♥ Acer

Oh, no doubt. This one just happens to be one that most people don't think of when doing u/d's. And it could cost you your engine.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

so then if you get pulleys for the right app 4.6L 3V in this case then the risk goes away correct? Steeda claims to have the proper dampener characteristics having worked in ford's tech x-fer program. Now of course this is on the steeda under pulley page so it could be complete bs but steeda appears to be a reputable company.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:06 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I have the Steed's and have had zeros issues with them, great mod for the money
Old 05-18-2007, 10:19 AM
01Steed
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Mikes_BLK_GT

so then if you get pulleys for the right app 4.6L 3V in this case then the risk goes away correct? Steeda claims to have the proper dampener characteristics having worked in ford's tech x-fer program. Now of course this is on the steeda under pulley page so it could be complete bs but steeda appears to be a reputable company.
I called Steeda, and was told that they only make one crank damper for all V8 modular Ford applications. If there were some way to magically make one damper work for each configuration, one would have to believe that Ford would employ this technology and reduce their complexity in the plant/service parts systemby only needing one damper. Nope, I don't believe they (Steeda) are covering all the bases with some "magic damper".

Like I said, how many people with broken pump gears would attribute that failure to underdrive pullies?? I'm gonna go ahead and say "very few if any". That does not change the fact that it is a real concern, no matter how many people have used them.

I had a set a few years ago, and had several instances when the car ran horribly upon start up, shaking and stumbling and such. I did some research here at work, and learned alot about proper damping. I took them off, and have not experienced that problem since.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01Steed

I called Steeda, and was told that they only make one crank damper for all V8 modular Ford applications. If there were some way to magically make one damper work for each configuration, one would have to believe that Ford would employ this technology and reduce their complexity in the plant/service parts systemby only needing one damper. Nope, I don't believe they (Steeda) are covering all the bases with some "magic damper".

Like I said, how many people with broken pump gears would attribute that failure to underdrive pullies?? I'm gonna go ahead and say "very few if any". That does not change the fact that it is a real concern, no matter how many people have used them.

I had a set a few years ago, and had several instances when the car ran horribly upon start up, shaking and stumbling and such. I did some research here at work, and learned alot about proper damping. I took them off, and have not experienced that problem since.

All I did was look at thier web site beyond that I havnt researched them. It's better to find out the problems people have had as well as negative info on a particular mod before I find out for myself(usually I have to spend a lot of money to reapair). There are pros and cons to all of the mods we put on cars just a risk vs reward and what you really want form the car. ENough people use them that they probably work well most of the time. Its the rest of that time that would concern me just a question of wether it concerns me enough.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:29 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

People get longtube headers for other reasons besides just hp gains. I think 20 rwhp is an alright increase with the headers, but also include that it makes the car sound WAY better in my opinion...

Quick Reply: underdrive pulley...is it safe?