MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   underdrive pulley...is it safe? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/237143-underdrive-pulley-is-it-safe.html)

chrisc 01-27-2007 10:31 PM

underdrive pulley...is it safe?

I was looking and underdrive pullies for my car and I was wondering if they can damage the car? I know the alt pullies can kill the alternator after a while.

I know I have a 6er but very few people with 6ers have these, so I came over to the GT area

Thanks guys!

Menace 01-27-2007 10:43 PM

RE: underdrive pulley...is it safe?

Many of us have them on our GTs. I've noticed it takes a little longer for the heat to kick on, but other then that it's all positives. On the safe side add some redline water wetter into your coolant mix (You will have to drain some of your coolant to compensate.) Which should keep your engine running at proper temperature and prevent it from heating up... So far nothing like that one mine.

jay0heavenly 01-27-2007 11:31 PM

Search my friend, there was just a good post on this a couple of days ago. Search "UDP's" and you'll find a million threads on this. Overall, nobody has had any problems with them, the worst I've heard was a guy thats lights were flickering in the snow since the TCS was kicking in. Other than that, everybody loves em, I'm gonna get them in a couple of weeks..... I would've given you the link, but I'm a lazy hypocrite...lol

2k05gt 01-28-2007 12:50 AM

A common misconception here is that pulleys slow down water pump and cause power issues...

Underdrive pulleysdeliver more horse power by freeing up power lost to parasitic drag. The amount you will realize depends on your car and the accessories you are driving, a car with alternator, water pump, power steering, A/C and a smog pump will see a larger HP gain then a car with alternator and water pump only. Dollar for dollar underdrive pulleys are one of the best value for HP gain on the market.

"But won't underdrive pulleys cause a charging problem?"
Again that depends on your car and how and when you drive. Automotive manufacturers build a certain amount of extra capacity into their cars for situation of high demand like driving on a cold rainy night with the lights on plus whippers and defrosters going. Some cars with monster audio installations require higher that normal electrical demands. A well maintained auto should have no problem at all. Sometimes raising the idle by 100 RPM is all it takes to bring the charging rate back up to normal. Remember that an alternator is a varable speed generator that rotates at different speeds while driving, the voltage regulator always keeps the charging voltage at 12.5 to 14V DC

"Won't underdrive pulleys cause a engine cooling problem?"
Again manufacturesof the cars out there has enough reserve cooling capacity to usepulleys. Some people find that the simple installation of a cooler thermostat is all it takes to bring the temperature back into normal range.
Underdive Pulleys can in some cases cure cooling problems. With racing applications cavitation can be a problem at high rpms. When a pump cavitates, it actually spins too fast to push coolant, Coolant must also stay in the radiator long enough to lose heat before returning to the motor so you can actually move coolant too fast. Both these issues can be solved by using underdrive pulleys.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25187/49D8D3B171FD424B8119506580C3BEFF.jpg[/IMG]

AmericanMuscle4.6GT 01-28-2007 12:55 AM

ORIGINAL: 2k05gt

A common misconception here is that pulleys slow down water pump and cause power issues...

Underdrive pulleysdeliver more horse power by freeing up power lost to parasitic drag. The amount you will realize depends on your car and the accessories you are driving, a car with alternator, water pump, power steering, A/C and a smog pump will see a larger HP gain then a car with alternator and water pump only. Dollar for dollar underdrive pulleys are one of the best value for HP gain on the market.

"But won't underdrive pulleys cause a charging problem?"
Again that depends on your car and how and when you drive. Automotive manufacturers build a certain amount of extra capacity into their cars for situation of high demand like driving on a cold rainy night with the lights on plus whippers and defrosters going. Some cars with monster audio installations require higher that normal electrical demands. A well maintained auto should have no problem at all. Sometimes raising the idle by 100 RPM is all it takes to bring the charging rate back up to normal. Remember that an alternator is a varable speed generator that rotates at different speeds while driving, the voltage regulator always keeps the charging voltage at 12.5 to 14V DC

"Won't underdrive pulleys cause a engine cooling problem?"
Again manufacturesof the cars out there has enough reserve cooling capacity to usepulleys. Some people find that the simple installation of a cooler thermostat is all it takes to bring the temperature back into normal range.
Underdive Pulleys can in some cases cure cooling problems. With racing applications cavitation can be a problem at high rpms. When a pump cavitates, it actually spins too fast to push coolant, Coolant must also stay in the radiator long enough to lose heat before returning to the motor so you can actually move coolant too fast. Both these issues can be solved by using underdrive pulleys.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25187/49D8D3B171FD424B8119506580C3BEFF.jpg[/IMG]
wow......that was an incredibly informative post. this should be stickied.

so the verdict is, for a daily driver with no real power demannds (electricity wise) is not going to have a problem with UDP's?

is the gain worth the 200 bucks or so?

2006GTSC 01-28-2007 12:58 AM

I have em on mine and i love them! No problems at all

Menace 01-28-2007 01:16 AM

The engine is able to rev a lot faster, which is where the power is coming from. It's a small amount of HP for a relatively small amount of money when you take in consideration all of the high priced parts. (I must recommend purchasing them on sale. $200, and they have them frequently. I've no experience with anything other then Steeda and it's a fairly simple project for anyone who has any type of automotive experience beneath the hood.)

You don't need them anymore then you need an Intake and tune. If you want a little more 'oomph' they are a good bang for the buck. I haven't heard any issues with someone who was using them, other then the temperatures of the AC not being as cold or hot as it was with the stock pulleys. No one wants to spend $1500 for Long Tube headers, plus installation, all for a measely 20 hp - if that - especially when you get an intake and tune for $600 and wham 30hp.

2k05gt 01-28-2007 02:15 AM

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

so the verdict is, for a daily driver with no real power demannds (electricity wise) is not going to have a problem with UDP's?

100% worth it.
If you have several Speakers, Amps, Subs Ect.. DO NOT INSTALL UDP that shaker 1000 is tha max you can go with UDP.

I never get my stuff posted as a sticky ;)

chrisc 01-28-2007 02:36 AM

I have a shaker 500 system with a eclipse gps/dvd headunit. (6.5in screen). would that be too much draw?

07AlloyGT 01-28-2007 02:41 AM

ORIGINAL: 2k05gt

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

100% worth it.
If you have several Speakers, Amps, Subs Ect.. DO NOT INSTALL UDP that shaker 1000 is tha max you can go with UDP.

I never get my stuff posted as a sticky ;)
interesting. i've got a shaker 500 and i was going to install the custom made 12" sub in a box where the shaker 1000 subs go. it would be powered by a decent amp.

i sure don't want to have problems if i install pulleys.