Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Limited Slip Differential?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:49 AM
Zellanor
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Limited Slip Differential?

HOW MANY SPLINES ARE ON THE FACTORY AXLES? DOES IT VARY FROM MAN/AUTO TRANNY OR GEAR SIZE? sorry for the caps.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wmtheflash

Ok, I just slid underneath the car. The differential is marked "3.31 V 237 E".

I couldn't find any alumnium tag put V 237 E is marked in three spots including on the differential cover, a paper tag wrapped around the differential, and another paper tag hanging from the differential.

That seems to confirm that I have an open differential, correct? Otherwise it would be marked 3LS31, right?

I read 07AlloyGT's link, too. So, maybe it does have a limited slip? Even so, perhaps it's worth upgrading?

Where is a good place to get a Torsen or a Detroit Locker?
My '06 GT AUTO has the same tag, and it is a Trac-Loc. I know because I had the cover off replacing the fluid and it has the dreaded "dead walrus" moan during slow turns in the parking lot. The service folks at the Dealership also stated that all GT's have Trac-Locs.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:18 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acstone7

@Crazy Al. Does the Detroit TT have a shuffle sound to it when slowing down?
Nope. Mine doesn't anyway. It's dead quiet.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:32 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sunguf

Yes you can just jack it up, if both tires spin the same way you have LSD if the rotate in different dirrections you have an open diff. Can't believe only one preson knew this.
thats not always true, there are certain posi units out there that will spin the other way, take the cover off to look if you must , but all GTs since they put the 8.8 in have a tlok in them
Old 01-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

For the original poster, take the numbers you got and call your local dealer's parts department. They will confirm, I only mentioned the LS descriptor as that is how all the Ford trucks are tagged. I haven't crawled under my Mustang yet and I know I have the 3.55LS. When I checked on the '06s last summer I had the parts counter look up the rear carrier for the GT and the only one listed was the trac-loc. On the wheel spin test, I would have suggested it but I couldn't remember if the tranny had to be in neutral or in gear. This will make a difference on how the wheels spin. Considering the number of times I've had to tear down my Bronco rear ends I should remember this. My current truck eats pinion bearings so about every two years I have replace them. So much for double cardans not needing to be critical on pinion angle. Now that I have the Mustang I can afford to take the truck axle apart to see what my problems really are and maybe have the drive shaft balanced.

On the number of splines, I thought I saw another thread where they said 31 spline, this would be consistant with the old F-Series and Broncos. I believe the Exploders were using the 28 spline axles.

Isn't senility wonderful, you get to meet all new friends each evening when you come home.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:14 PM
sunguf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

Yes you can just jack it up, if both tires spin the same way you have LSD if the rotate in different dirrections you have an open diff. Can't believe only one preson knew this.
thats not always true, there are certain posi units out there that will spin the other way, take the cover off to look if you must , but all GTs since they put the 8.8 in have a tlok in them
you're RIGHT! I checked my out today while i was test fitting my 275 40 18 F1 G3's on the stock fanblades and saw they spun different ways, so i was about to Sh... a brick. Now everytime i lay one both tires spin even and leave nice even tracks so i know it's LSD so i ended up removing the cover and seeing it was LSD sorry about the confussion i thought all LSD's were the same
Old 01-29-2007, 09:29 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL:
My '06 GT AUTO has the same tag, and it is a Trac-Loc. I know because I had the cover off replacing the fluid and it has the dreaded "dead walrus" moan during slow turns in the parking lot. The service folks at the Dealership also stated that all GT's have Trac-Locs.
Get it replaced at the dealership. While they're in there, ask'em to change your rearend gears for you if you want. Mine replaced everything and put in 4.10 gears all under warrunty. When this one goes, I'll be buying Detroit true-track. They run around $400.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:37 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

1) Are there any negatives to upgrading to a limited slip differential? I can't think of any, really, other than cost. Still. There must be some drawbacks.
2) Would it be worth it to upgrade to a limited slip differential? (cost vs. benefit)
3) How hard would it be for the mechanic to do?
4) If I decide to do the upgrade, then which limited slip differential should I buy?
5) Any idea why Ford would make it optional on the auto other than saving a buck?
1) You highway mileage will probably go down with higher ratio's.
2) Your 2006 GT already has limited slip.
3) Not hard, as long as he knows what he's doing.
4) 3.73, 4.11, 4.30. I personally would only go to 3.73 but I do alot of highway driving.
5) Because the 3.31 ratio gets better highway mileage than the 3.55.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:15 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

1) Are there any negatives to upgrading to a limited slip differential? I can't think of any, really, other than cost. Still. There must be some drawbacks.

2) Would it be worth it to upgrade to a limited slip differential? (cost vs. benefit)

3) How hard would it be for the mechanic to do?

4) If I decide to do the upgrade, then which limited slip differential should I buy?

5) Any idea why Ford would make it optional on the auto other than saving a buck?
1.) nope
2.)already there,
3.) make sure they do rear ends regularly, i.e NOT a dealer
4.) detroit true trac
5.) because fords stupid, 4.10 gears will only decrease your milage by about 2 mpg but they want to be over the C.A.F.E standards
Old 01-29-2007, 10:28 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

you're RIGHT! I checked my out today while i was test fitting my 275 40 18 F1 G3's on the stock fanblades and saw they spun different ways, so i was about to Sh... a brick. Now everytime i lay one both tires spin even and leave nice even tracks so i know it's LSD so i ended up removing the cover and seeing it was LSD sorry about the confussion i thought all LSD's were the same
When I had my car on the hoist I did the tire spin test and both tires spun the same way. Not sure how that works, lol.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Differential?