Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Can it be plugged in overnight?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Drivesthebeast
2nd Gear Member

Default Can it be plugged in overnight?

Hey everyone, I already did a search on topics/threads about engine block heaters, but I didn't find the info I was looking for. I have an 05 GT, and because it's a Canadian model, it's got an engine block heater. The thing that I'm wondering is, since the 4.6L is supposed to be a completely aluminum engine with steel sleeves (correct me if I'm wrong), can it have the block heater plugged in overnight? It's so damned cold up here lately (-35 or colder sometimes), that I'd like to leave the car plugged in overnight, rather than plug it in 1-3 hrs before I have to go to work in the morning (this would involve getting up at like 3am to plug it in everyday). I could have sworn that someone said that the block heater will over heat the coolant if plugged in overnight...meaning that it will let the coolant get hot enough to eventually find places to leak.

I'm sure that info I heard was bunk, but just wanted to find out from you engine guru's what should I do?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2007, 03:11 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Can it be plugged in overnight?

Maybe you could get it set up on some sort of timing circuit that flips it on at whatever time you want?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:21 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Yes, you can leave it plugged in overnight. That's what it was designed for. No, it won't overheat anything. It just like any other heater element in your iron, coffee pot, oven, electric water heater, etc. It has a built in thermostat. Once a certain temperature is reached, it trips and the heat stops. When the temperature drops enough, the circuit is closed again and the heat comes back on. It'll run through this cycle all night until you unplug it.[/align][/align]Do plug that baby up and enjoy faster heat in the mornings![/align]
Old 01-28-2007, 04:53 PM
FL510

It does warm up prety quickly. The easiest way is to have it hooked up to an outlet that you can turn on and off from inside the house. 1 hour should be pleanty. When you first get up turn it on, and by the time you go out the heater will blast you with hot air. You will also save on electricity.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:24 PM
rutus
1st Gear Member

They are madeto stay plugged in. When it gets cold enough I leave my 350 plugged in overnight with no problems, diesel doesn't like to be cold.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:21 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Premi

Yes, you can leave it plugged in overnight. That's what it was designed for. No, it won't overheat anything. It just like any other heater element in your iron, coffee pot, oven, electric water heater, etc. It has a built in thermostat. Once a certain temperature is reached, it trips and the heat stops. When the temperature drops enough, the circuit is closed again and the heat comes back on. It'll run through this cycle all night until you unplug it.[/align][/align]Do plug that baby up and enjoy faster heat in the mornings![/align]
wow, sorry to hijack. your stang has an incredibly deep shine, what kind of wax do u use?
Old 01-29-2007, 01:50 PM
caneboy
2nd Gear Member

I dont know what wax he used but Zaino is what i use on my Stang and it feels like your running your hand on a sheet of ice its so slick and shiny too.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:38 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

ORIGINAL: GT Premi

wow, sorry to hijack. your stang has an incredibly deep shine, what kind of wax do u use?
[/align][/align]Z-A-I-N-O Thanks for the complement. My car was actually pretty dusty in that pic if you look at the lip of the wheels. It looks really good when it's clean! These are only two coats of Z2.[/align][/align][/align]