Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

TIRE SMOKE

Old 01-29-2007, 01:18 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: TIRE SMOKE

ORIGINAL: sailing220

What's the best way to "rev/showoff" with a GT auto? Put it in park/neutral or what?

I'm a noob, yes.
yes. just put it in park/neutral and sit there. you'll be so cool

put it in drive. left foot on brake. right foot on gas until tires burn. hold that burn at 5k rpm for about 5 seconds. let go of brake, floor gas. listen for applause.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:38 AM
FirePower
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

What's the best way to "rev/showoff" with a GT auto? Put it in park/neutral or what?

I'm a noob, yes.

put it in drive. left foot on brake. right foot on gas until tires burn. hold that burn at 5k rpm for about 5 seconds. let go of brake, floor gas. listen for applause.
I don't think I would ever do that to my car.

How does the engine turn the rear wheels fast enough to heat the rubber to the point of smoking off if the brakes are holding them? I'm confused. I know this sort of thing can work cause I've seen it in action when I was 18, but I don't get it.

I won't be burning out unless the engine can break the wheels free and spin 'em without anything holding the car back except air and gravity!

Old 01-29-2007, 12:33 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

I'm a noob, yes.

and then go shopping for new tires.......

my auto launched nicely but didn't lay ANY rubber- UNTIL I got a CAI & 93 octane tune, and the first time I floored it after install she squealed like a pig and laid 8 - 10 feet of rubber.
when I floor it now from a 20 - 30 m.p.h. roll she actually fishtails for a moment!
Old 01-29-2007, 12:42 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

I don't know how you have a hard time burning out...when I actually try to spin out, I don't move more than 5 feet until third gear, then I take off like a bat out of hell. When I try to have a good launch, my first gear grips after a couple rotations, but my 1-2 shift gets my *** more loose than a Belgian *****. Of course the wheel hop is disgusting...need some suspension mods.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:37 PM
FirePower
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FuriousGeorge

I don't know how you have a hard time burning out...when I actually try to spin out, I don't move more than 5 feet until third gear, then I take off like a bat out of hell. When I try to have a good launch, my first gear grips after a couple rotations, but my 1-2 shift gets my *** more loose than a Belgian *****. Of course the wheel hop is disgusting...need some suspension mods.
Maybe this is why?

Steeda 90mm CAI w/ 91 octane Brenspeed xcal2

Old 01-29-2007, 01:44 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FirePower

ORIGINAL: FuriousGeorge

Maybe this is why?

Steeda 90mm CAI w/ 91 octane Brenspeed xcal2

I did them fine before the CAI/tune, but I'm sure it makes a difference.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:04 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Um... it seems like alot of people are really having problems doing burnouts in their Stangs... I can melt my tires fairly easy.. and I have a pretty much stock auto.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:38 PM
acstone7
3rd Gear Member

tad easier just power braking
Old 01-29-2007, 04:44 PM
06gt5spd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

Um... it seems like alot of people are really having problems doing burnouts in their Stangs... I can melt my tires fairly easy.. and I have a pretty much stock auto.

+1........I'm amazed at how questions like this pop up. I don't know if its the age differance or what, but when I read posts like these it just makes that person seem extremely dumb, IMO! How is it that you don't know how this is done or even the concept of it. If you have a stick, stop - push clutch in - rev engine to what ever you want (hopefully at least 3000) - take foot of clutch and mash the gas! If you have an auto,once again stop - apply moderate pressure on brake pedal - push gas until tires begin to spin - hold as long as you want - then release brake and floor it. In any case do these things out in a open lot away from everything until you get the feel for your cars reaction!
Old 01-29-2007, 05:22 PM
FirePower
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06gt5spd

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

+1........I'm amazed at how questions like this pop up. I don't know if its the age differance or what, but when I read posts like these it just makes that person seem extremely dumb, IMO! How is it that you don't know how this is done or even the concept of it. If you have a stick, stop - push clutch in - rev engine to what ever you want (hopefully at least 3000) - take foot of clutch and mash the gas! If you have an auto,once again stop - apply moderate pressure on brake pedal - push gas until tires begin to spin - hold as long as you want - then release brake and floor it. In any case do these things out in a open lot away from everything until you get the feel for your cars reaction!
Well, I wasn't watching my tach when I punched it, but I thought I had it revved higher then 4K, but hey, I dunno. I don't do burnouts every other day. Specially since I just got the GT a couple days ago (one wheeled burnouts are no fun), andI don't want to push her too hard! She's still a virgin and I don't want to pound on her until she's broken in a bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TIRE SMOKE