Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Largest tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 03:24 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Largest tire

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Besides making you lower to the ground, smaller diameter tires will increase the wheel well gap by as much as it lowers you. That's not normally what people want when lowering.

ORIGINAL: wthalliii

ORIGINAL: androdz

Yes you did the math right, I got 275/40/17 and I knew I was gonna reduce the diameter by around 1 inch give or take. I did it because I wanted to experiment how 3.73's will actually feel because I was let down by the 4.10 when they just died @ over 110 mph.

Andrew
Cool.

So, you guys who know about suspension, is this a good way to lower a car without having to replace suspension parts, or do you need to do that if you get smaller diameter tires? Are there any downsides to doing this? Maybe not even wider tires, just smaller diameter tires. Can you get 235/45ZR14's instead of the stock 235/55ZR14's, maybe? That would lower the car by nearly an inch.

Smaller tires would also have the same effect as changing the rear-end ratio, too, wouldn't it? With smaller tires, you'd have increased RPM for a given speed, so you'd have more power on the low end, but lower top speed, right?

Andrew, did you retune the speedometer?
I knew there had to be a catch. Too easy...
Old 02-03-2007, 07:37 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Yes I had to retune the speedo, it is a fairly simple task with the sct. I calculate that my rear end gearing should be anywhere around 3.7x which was what I wanted to test with the smaller diameter tires. I did this because I had a recent experience with a gt with 4.10's installed and and it dies fast after 110 mph you have to shift to 5th at around 116 or so. that means you are in overdrive at 116mph so good luck catching any speed after that; 116 mph is fairly easy to reach in the 1/4 mile with moderate mods, on street racing it is much easier to pass 116mph.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:21 AM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

androdz

I thought 4.10's would be good for the 1/4 mile, not drag racing?
Old 02-03-2007, 09:13 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

So using a taller tire will change my gearing from 3.55 to 3.73 or somewhere close to that? I thought it was the other way around.

ORIGINAL: androdz

Yes I had to retune the speedo, it is a fairly simple task with the sct. I calculate that my rear end gearing should be anywhere around 3.7x which was what I wanted to test with the smaller diameter tires. I did this because I had a recent experience with a gt with 4.10's installed and and it dies fast after 110 mph you have to shift to 5th at around 116 or so. that means you are in overdrive at 116mph so good luck catching any speed after that; 116 mph is fairly easy to reach in the 1/4 mile with moderate mods, on street racing it is much easier to pass 116mph.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:25 PM
06boyracer

I have 275/40/R20 under all four corners, and no I didn't have to hack the wheel wells to fit on the front, they only rub a very little bit when I turn at full lock.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:38 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

shorter tires will INCREASE your gear ration - i.e , going from stock 27" tall tire to 26" tall tire will increase it from 3.55 to 3.73 (rough #'s)

for the guys running 275's on 8" wheels, there is a guy selling TORNADOS on ebay - check it out!
Old 02-04-2007, 10:09 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

shorter tires will INCREASE your gear ration - i.e , going from stock 27" tall tire to 26" tall tire will increase it from 3.55 to 3.73 (rough #'s)

for the guys running 275's on 8" wheels, there is a guy selling TORNADOS on ebay - check it out!
I'm not sure why you think that. The section width of the tire is the physical width of the tire and does not change based on the width of the wheel. The only problem is if you get too wide a tire, it will not seat reliably on the wheel and could be a safety issue. The contact patch to the road DEFINITELY increases. -Joe
Old 02-04-2007, 11:17 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jbailer

I'm not sure why you think that. The section width of the tire is the physical width of the tire and does not change based on the width of the wheel. The only problem is if you get too wide a tire, it will not seat reliably on the wheel and could be a safety issue. The contact patch to the road DEFINITELY increases. -Joe
Actually the section width does change based on the width of the wheel.The section width does change about .2 inch for every .5 inch in wheel width according to BF Goodrich. The section width does not change MUCH but more important, the tread that contacts the road does. When you run too large of a tire on too narrow of a rim it pulls the outer tread upward off the road. Not to mention your handling is worse than if the tire were on a proper sized rim because the sidewall is pulled in so much. If you use a shorter tire (with the same tread width), you lower effective gear ratio but your contact patch is less. You're better off with lower rear gears and taller tires. Don't forget your contact patch is based on width of the tire AND the height.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:27 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 07GT

ORIGINAL: jbailer

Actually the section width does change based on the width of the wheel.The section width does change about .2 inch for every .5 inch in wheel width according to BF Goodrich. The section width does not change MUCH but more important, the tread that contacts the road does. When you run too large of a tire on too narrow of a rim it pulls the outer tread upward off the road. Not to mention your handling is worse than if the tire were on a proper sized rim because the sidewall is pulled in so much. If you use a shorter tire (with the same tread width), you lower effective gear ratio but your contact patch is less. You're better off with lower rear gears and taller tires. Don't forget your contact patch is based on width of the tire AND the height.
You mean higher gears and taller tires.... Anyways I can send u a picture of my 275 rears street tread vs my 255 fronts street tread. You all can talk #'s but I can take a picture of the evidence

Andrew

PS: Do you want me to put a ruler with the pictures?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:34 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

That's why you step up and get the right wheels/tires combo....

18x10 billets with Nitto NT555 275/40/18 up front and 555R's 305/45/18 out back. There is no better tire combo for the street...period.

Quick Reply: Largest tire