Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

First encounter with the Big bad GTO.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:02 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Default RE: First encounter with the Big bad GTO.

Mach--
hahah sick man nice work!
Thanks dude. Now if I can just get the next run on vid!!!!!!!!!!!!!I tried to film while driving once, man talk about impossible! I don't know how those guys do it with a camera shot from the drivers view during a race? Maybe they gotta a strap or something keeping the camera centered at the kneck? he he

WhiteStallion06--
Nice work walker... glad to see ya back hadnt heard from ya in awhile
Glad to be back! Heard you guys were to get hit last night with a snow storm, hope you had "whitestallion" covered up! Knowing how we all feel about our cars you probably had a blanket wrapped around it! I know I would have!

On a side note since the run I have seen 3 different 06 GTO's (2 blue, 1 blk) in less than 48hours! Prior to the run I had not seen one in 6 months! Funny how you pay more attention to a car when it's not behind you!! hah!

Old 02-02-2007, 09:50 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Yah theres a few GTOs in my area but you seem to not notice them as much because they almost look like a family sedan with a spoiler .. but they are respectable cars and quite quick .

Funny you say that because weve had off and on snow the last few weeks more up your way but got a little down here and with the salt on the roads ive kept the stang in the garage at home and been driving a truck back and forth .... but its hard bein away from her i get some urges to drive it a lot but i have some fun with it on the weekend when i get home ...
Old 02-02-2007, 10:37 PM
BlitzKrieg

ORIGINAL: flewbyu

BlitzKrieg---Thanks for the pix! Saved me some time looking for them. Good to see them side by side. Now that I see the pix I at least know what the two look like. I'm replaying in my mind and it did have the hood scoop on it. Thanks again for the side by side pix!
Sure no problem, glad I could help. I love the GTO and the Mustang GT/Cobra so I'm torn as to which one I'd want. I think if it came down to it and I had enough money I'd prefer the Cobra. And funnily enough tomorrow I'm 90% sure I'm trading my '05 ZX5 Focus for an '03 V6 Mustang 5spd so I can do the P71 engine swap.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:11 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Being from what ive read; the 400hp GTO are not that fast. There runing about 14 flat at 102
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...gto-page4.html

and where talking a modd mustang gt; if he really pushing 336 to the wheels; he much faster then a stock gto.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:20 PM
MIKE562
2nd Gear Member

Thats what you call "Shake n' Bake em" !!!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Rock36
2nd Gear Member

I can top out just shy of 120 mph in 4th with 4.10s at right about 6k rpm, but I have a near stock diameter tire. I don't do it that often however.

Great story. It sounds like weight is what carried the day so to speak. You had a nearly empty tank, he most likely did not, and he had a passenger in an already heavier car. You could have held up like you did against a stock LS2 GTO with what you are putting to the rear wheels. What are your mods BTW?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Rock36
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: johnnyv8

Being from what ive read; the 400hp GTO are not that fast. There runing about 14 flat at 102
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...gto-page4.html

and where talking a modd mustang gt; if he really pushing 336 to the wheels; he much faster then a stock gto.
That test is on a 350 bhp LS1 GTO.....look towards the bottom.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:10 PM
impaler
1st Gear Member

Couldn't agree more. Nice job! Love reading about these. I'm a bit reluctant to race anyone until I get some more mods done...at least a tune. GTOs are real sleepers to me. They're not much to look at; perhaps that was Pontiac's idea.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:28 PM
jdavis
2nd Gear Member

02 Gt 5spd
eibach pro-kit
40 series flows
black on black
Old 02-04-2007, 01:14 PM
motoxdirtrider84
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: impaler

They're not much to look at
I def agree on that, I think they are ugly. They may be quick but they sure dont look like it.

Quick Reply: First encounter with the Big bad GTO.