Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Axle Back Exhaust Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 09:44 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Axle Back Exhaust Advice

SLPs very throaty ... flowmasters have drone and slps have hardly none at all and will def wake up the neighbors and the neighbors on the next block.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:47 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Stop DO NOT go to Mienke and let them install Flowmasters on your car. Most likely they are going to make a generic Flowmaster fit and weld them on.
Well, I wouldn't get crazy nervous. Just make sure they are the Flowmaster American Thunder. They will be a black oval muffler with a chrome 4' rolled tip that has Flowmaster written on it. To get a better look, go to Flowmaster's web site. Make sure they plan on clamping them on with the supplied clamps and not welding them and you should be fine, and they should warranty them.

I know Meineke is a Flowmaster dealer so there shouldn't be much of an issue. I don't think Flowmaster would partner up with a company that would hurt their reputaion like that.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:23 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Go for MACs if you want true muscle.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:57 PM
bushbanger
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the Macs ...Deep and true old skool sound
Old 02-03-2007, 05:01 PM
kingsmate20
1st Gear Member

I have a Corsa, and I love it. My buddy and I did it in my garage without a lift. It was a pain in the ***, but we got her on there in an hour. No big deal. It sounds great. The sound clips on the Corsa website actually do it some justice. Obviously it sounds better on the car, but it's pretty damn close!
Old 02-04-2007, 01:36 AM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

I just changed to GTA's (Hertz and Shelby GT). I think it is a pain to change them. Spent 2.5 hours and used a lift. Second pic has stock on the left and GTA on the right for your viewing pleasure!

[IMG]local://upfiles/44056/65B9D07F39304701902B8E1BD11117F8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/44056/15DAE03249A7430BA54888256387582A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-04-2007, 09:01 PM
ADudeInNewJersey
3rd Gear Member

The Flow-Tech Terminators are $199.How are the Flow-tech Terminators? Im basing everything on Price. The more it is the better it is. Is that true? I have such a low budget! *tear*
Old 02-05-2007, 01:35 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

some info on Flowmasters -

I would not get the American Thunder thru Meineke. The early run of American Thunder kits had problems with welds failing inside the mufflers on the baffles, producing an aweful pinging sound. If you want that system get it from a dealer that moves a lot of product. The Meineke set may have been sitting on their shelf for a long time. Flowmaster has since corrected the problem. Get a set that hasn't been sitting on a shelf for a long time to be safe.

Personally, and a lot agree, the AT system doesn't have the signature Flowmaster sound. The mufflers in the AT kit are specificly produced for this car. For a more genuine sound you are better off purchasing the Flowmaster 40 series mufflers seperately and having them welded on. Don't get me wrong - I have the AT kit on my car but my neighbor has 40 series on his 06' and it sounds better to me.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:13 AM
twoaces

It seems that I can install these myself with "regular tools". I just had heard good things about the Flowmaster American Thunder. I am open to any AB that will be inexpensive and give the best bang for the dollar. Meinke is a dealer for FM. It sounds like you just need to make sure that they are newer and that they do not weld on. Thanks for all of the advice.

If I installed myself, is that very difficult?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:33 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

No its not hard. I did it an about an hour with 2 wrenches. 13 and 15mm if I remember correctly. Those wratcheting box end wrenches are helpfull. I just jacked up the rear end a bit so I could slide under the car and went to work. I am NOT much of a mechanic and if I can do it anyone can do it. I dont even change my own oil if that tells you anything.

Quick Reply: Axle Back Exhaust Advice