Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

fuel tank problem? Lemon Law?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 07:35 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: fuel tank problem? Lemon Law?

i'd recommend googling the lemon lawin your state. it will be some combo of days at the dealer, times in the shop unfixed, etc. keep in mind this is not a quick process. this kind of suit, although relatively easy for you because it's just paperwork based, takes many many moons to resolve. you would probably get money damages rather than a buy-back, and if you did get a buyback they'd subtract the value you received from driving the car by multiplying the miles you put on it by some number like 35 cents or something. anyways, just trying to give you a straight answer cause law suits basically suck the majority of the time.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:00 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Dude, really who cares. I got a saleen and it does it. I paid alot more for my car and I could care less. Now I have had my 06 saleen for 13 months and only have 7k miles so I dont drive mine much, but I just turn the nozzle up, problem fixed.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:06 AM
STLRedbird
1st Gear Member

+1

Not another gas tank thread. This makes two for this poster. Come on people get a life, if this is the worst of your worries, consider yourself fortunate. If it doesn't occur at every pump at every gas station then it is a nozzle problem and not a Mustang problem. Look around and try to use some deductive reasoning. Every oil company uses a different style pump and these pumps each have unique nozzles. Some work and others don't. If you encounter problems then turn the nozzle or slow down the fill rate. If you haven't the patience to cope with this minor inconvenience then go to another gasoline dealer where you don't encounter this problem. This has been a problem since 1975 when the federal government mandated the oil and automotive industries to put in safeguards to keep people from filling catalytic converter equipped cars with leaded gasoline. The problem isn't going away any time soon.
+1
I've had 06 and 07 Mustang GTs and both had this "serious design flaw". If you're unable to adjust your fuel filling technique to get around this, then you might want to consider public transportation.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:39 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stooge

Go under the rear of the car. Look at the design of the tank, how it is filled, how it is vented, how the fuel pump takes suction and how small the fill hose is from the gas cap. A rediculous design to say the least. No wonder it has problems.

The tank will not fill quickly because both sides cannot be vented properly. Many gas stations with their EPA mandated smoog nozzles are too sensitive to pressure surgesduring the filling process when the tank naturally vents. Looking at how it is vented. I believe the only way to properly fill this tank is to open the vent to atmoshere, but this would disable the sealed canister vent system and set off the car's MIL.
+1

Right on. The issue is with the gas tank vent filter. Because of the poor filter design air in the tank cannot be displaced as quickly as gas is put into the tank.

On this forum or another forum there is a thread that details (with pictures) on how to remove/replace the gas tank vent filter.

I'm going to do mine as soon as the weather warms.

Knowing this is the issue, what I do is put gas into the tank at a very slow rate until the pump reads 1.0 gal. then pull the gas pump handle up to the first lever stop. No problems with this method.

It is aggravating though.