Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Curb Damage and Panhard Rod installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:21 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Default Curb Damage and Panhard Rod installation

So a couple days ago I was driving around Ithaca, and was getting kind of careless because the vast majority of roads were totally clear of ice and snow. I turned onto a less plowed road, hit a patch of ice, and slid into a curb. The damage that I have been able to pick out so far is a huge chunk out of one of my wheels (right at the bead of the tire) and a bent panhard rod. I went ahead and ordered an adjustableBMR rod since I planned on making that change eventually anyways. Two questions: Is there anything else I should look at for damage? (Can the axles get rammed into the diff or anything annoying like that?) Also, is there anything tricky about installing the new rod? Any hints on the installation? Thanks.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Black Sunshine 07
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Curb Damage and Panhard Rod installation

did the same thing a while back on a wet road. you'll have to order the metal straps that hold the tire pressure sensors on your wheels. you can use the same sensor but you'll have to put it on your new wheel and you can't reuse the sensor strap. nothing to swapping out the panhard bar. i also had to replace the axle on the side i hit. it bent the end that bolts up to the wheel. when you get your car off the ground put it in neutral and spin the tires seeing if they rotate as they should, if not, probably gonna need to replace that axle
Old 02-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackBetty
Is there anything else I should look at for damage?
Did you check your brain case?

How could you be so careless? Poor Mustang...

*says this having just come in from numerous donuts in the mall lot*

Hey, could be worse. Did something similar on one of my previous cars. Slid into a curb diagonally, front on. Clobbered the front right tire, but the real damage happened when the front wheel went up over the curb and the back right wheel slid catty-corner into the curb. Broke part of the suspension, and bent the brake drum. Fortunately all is fixable.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:45 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

I've been kicking myself ever since the accident... oh well, nothing I can do about it now except fix it.

I really hope the axle isn't bent...

I wasn't aware my car had tire pressure sensors... is that possibly a new addition on the 07?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackBetty

I've been kicking myself ever since the accident... oh well, nothing I can do about it now except fix it.

I really hope the axle isn't bent.

I wasn't aware my car had tire pressure sensors... is that possibly a new addition on the 07?
Correct, no pressure sensors on your car. Theres a few bucks saved!
Obviously have the alignment checked after bar installed.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:23 AM
Black Sunshine 07
2nd Gear Member

yeah my fault on the TP sensors, i didn't even check what year you were rolling in. yeah that alone with save you over $100, they were $50 a piece before taxes. the panhard bar isn't bad expensive but i know you were thinking of going with aftermarket, i didn't see the need in that. the axle was a little over $200 if i remember correctly and that rear end lube you have to use is pricey as h*ll