Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

STS Turbo Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 10:07 PM
bsdman

Default RE: STS Turbo Dual Exhaust

I'm just thinking that I'll go with the single turbo for now, and keep my option open for the second one.

The STS system looks to be one of the easiest to install - anyone install any other turbo kits?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:08 PM
07GTgo
1st Gear Member

there is two types of turbos...remote mounted turbo, which is the one made by sts that is in the rear corner, and engine mounted turbo...since u were talking about the remote turbo that would disreguard everything i said earlier...u know americanmuscle i think ur right, im not really sure if that other header connects to the wastegate or turbo or what on the engine mounted turbo
Old 02-09-2007, 03:56 AM
bsdman

No one install a turbo kit?

Well, as soon as I get some more $$$ I'll make sure to take lots of pictures and document how it goes.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:32 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

OK OK my turn to chime in, and before anyone asks, I have looked and researched EVERY turbo kit for our cars, yes yes, I have no life and I really really want a turbo.

So that said, The STS is an awesome kit both in Twin or Single configuration. Both make great power and thaere is little lag. (Whoever sais otherwise has never been in one and only reads posts :P) I have several freinds with STS systems mostly F-Bodies, 1 Vette and 1 Mustang with the twin kit all are great and run very very strong. And yes they are run rain and shine and none have ever had a problem with water as some claim. Of all of the ones I have seen only 1 has ever had an issue with the oiling system, and when it happend a nice light on the dash went off and he shut down the car. (yep 1 out of over 15)

On the single STS kit you use the factory exhaust and cats, and there is a pipe that connects the two to go to the remote turbo.

As far as which kit is better it is really up to you. Personally I would prefer to do the STS but I hve a full cervini's kit including the side pipes and it would be a hell of alot of work to get that kit onto my car.

Great kits include: Turbonetics, STS, Powerhouse, MMR, Granatelli, Hellion, Turbohorsepower, and HP.

Turbohorsepower is releasing a single turbo kit for just under $4k so its a great deal as well, just a heads up.

Personally I buy all my turbo parts (and some of my other parts needs as well) through Jesse since hes a site sponsor and has the best response time. I got tired of waiting days, instead I wait mins (sometimes hours but I send him emails at like 1am so its not his ault ;P)

Anyway jesse@turbo-kits.com best source for turbo parts IMHO. And for those wondering it looks to be that I will be going with a Turbonetics kit, as soon as they ship it
Old 02-09-2007, 02:07 PM
bsdman

I'm emailing jesse to see what pricing I can get on a single (can only find dual sts on their site).

We'll see.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:57 PM
bsdman

ORIGINAL: bsdman

I'm emailing jesse to see what pricing I can get on a single (can only find dual sts on their site).

We'll see.
$3995 single turbo kit
$895 Fuel management (MAFia, Predator Tune, 39# cobra injectors)
$645 Front mount intercooler (not actually needed)

$6795 twin turbo kit (comes with FMIC)
$895 Fuel management

And since I'm not planning on going all out with this car (full exhaust, cams, suspension, carbon fiber everything, etc), I'm really leaning towards the single turbo, add a blow off valve, and a boost gauge.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

My friend here has the STS TT. He opted for methanol injection instead of the intercooler. He originaly had the single but had continual unknown problems with loosing boost. Nobody could figure it out. STS took the car back and not only fixed it butgave him a second turbo for no cost. He has a setting in the car to change the boost from 3-5-7 pounds. It runs well, took him a while to self tune with a laptop and data log software in conjuction with STS, but it's dialed in and eats Z06's like nothing. On full boost he's around 465hp and 502 tq. It also sounds great. Not CA smog legal yet but they are working on it.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:15 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

I have not heard of any problems with the single loosing boost. More than likely poor install.....I am thinking of doing this on my saleen. Unless your friend is got forged internals he better be careful with 465hp at the wheels.....will go boom....
Old 02-09-2007, 08:41 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06SaLeEn

I have not heard of any problems with the single loosing boost. More than likely poor install.....I am thinking of doing this on my saleen. Unless your friend is got forged internals he better be careful with 465hp at the wheels.....will go boom....
Eh 465 is fine if its a good tune. There are quite a few people pushing this mark. Anyway, your right it was probably a bad install on the setup, but it may have also been a bad clamp or hose, I remeber spending countless hours in the garage trying to trace out boost leaks on my own and friends cars.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:43 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Well if you got it tuned on a dyno jet, then your fine since those numbers run a little higher than a mustang or land and sea dyno. Not that the number is different, just a 465 on a mustang dyno is pushing it.

Again your prob right about the clamp or something. Only bad thing about doing it yourself (if you did) the first time doing something its tough to trouble shoot it.....

Your happy now, thats all that matters.

Quick Reply: STS Turbo Dual Exhaust