Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

RESONATORS! check out this clip

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 02:20 AM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Default RE: RESONATORS! check out this clip

I've been running to resinators with an off road X, and straight piped mufflers. I can't say enough how much I love it. Especially when its opened up all the way. Pops out a nice blue flame as I shift too.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:53 AM
ScottM

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

well i stumbled across this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEC4IAUeLAc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQUnokqeUaU

apparently it has resonators and borla stinger and an o/r h pipe.

is it just me, or does it have like a super deep, substantial quality to it that is missing on all the other exhaust setups like this without resonators?

somebody tell me all about them. where to get them, what they are, what they do, louder/softer, ease of "install" or otherwise incorporation into the exhaust system, etc.
Hey, that's me!

The deal with them is this, me and a couple of friends installed the Pypes O/R H one day to go with my FRPP Stingers. I'll be honest, I didn't like the sound afterwards at all. It was way to loud and raw, if that makes sense. I just couldn't hear a lot of definition, just loudness, which I didn't want. Thedrone wasn't unbearable, but the trumpets were. I was so embarassed everytimeI got in thatzone around 2500 RPM's were the trumpets cameon that I either stayed under those RPM's, or floored it until I was past it.I almost took the H off the same day I put it on, but read about the resonators online, so I figured I'd give them a shot. I went by a local performance exhaust shop and asked them about them and they said they stock the Dynomax race mufflers (resonators) and would install them for $80 total (parts and install). When I fired it up afterwards, I was absolutely amazed at the difference. It sounded exactly like I wanted with a nice and deep tone. I had the biggest grin when I got on it leaving the muffler shop when I heard no drone or trumpets at all (that's right, NO DRONE OR TRUMPETS)! Everyone that has heard it before and after loves it so much more now than before. The guys that helped me install everything are pretty big mustang guys as well (one owns an 02 GT, the other an 03 GT) and they felt the same way. As far as install, they do have to be welded in. They offer no restriction at all, they are completely straight through, just perforated to change the sound).

If you don't have a local exhaust shop that stocks them, you can check out the below link, they are the same thing. I know the people that installed mine pretty well, so I think they cut me a deal installing them.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Here's some pics of where they are installed...

Taken right in front of the rear drivers side wheel....

From behind...

Let me know if you have any questions!

Scott
Old 02-11-2007, 03:00 AM
ScottM

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

Although I have only these crappy laptop speakers to rely on it sounded really soft. I want an O/R volume but not the trumpeting that come along with it. But judging by the video of the O/R H/stinger equipped stangs in one of the videos the trumpeting isn't too bad, at least not under WOT.
Trust me, it's not soft at all, just a lot more defined than without the resonators, IMO. Those clips were at cold start, so I didn't want to rev it up all the way. I think the most I hit was about 4,000 RPM's or so in the shorter of the 2 clips. The volume did over all decrease by a little bit after installing (which I knew it would), but trust me, it'sstill a head turner. My wife tells me she can still hear me from inside our house before I even turn on our road, which I thought there would be no way she could.

Also, if you could listen to it on a set of desktop speakers with a woofer, you'd hear a difference. I'mposting from a laptop right now and listened to them and then went to my back office computer and listened to them, big difference!
Old 02-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

on a scale of 1-10, how loud is it?
Old 02-11-2007, 05:28 PM
ScottM

ORIGINAL: Kaldar142

on a scale of 1-10, how loud is it?
Um, that's kind of subjective in my opinion, but it is louder than my old 02 GT with an O/R Prochamber and flows. I'd guess it's probably around a 7 or 8, but then again, I haven't heardLoudmouths in person either. Plenty loud for my taste, but not overbearing.