Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

roots vs. centri

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 07:18 PM
coji5gt
1st Gear Member

Default roots vs. centri

Debating between superchargers, im stuck on which one to buy. The Saleen supercharger, the FRPP/Whipple, or a Procharger centrifugal. Anyone care to add input. Anyone installed either of these?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:25 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: roots vs. centri

saleen. dont do procharger. thought about vortec?

Maybe check into turbos....
Old 02-10-2007, 07:31 PM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

Im procharged and i love it... great mid to top end if you ask me.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Shaman
1st Gear Member

Look at the Kenne Bell. After looking at dozens of different blowers, I'm getting the 2.6l Big Bore. I will be intercooling it and starting out with the 5lb pulley for a about 415rwhp. After I run it like that for a month or so, I'm swithcing to the 8lb pulley for 450rwhp. Kit seems very complete and I know a few people who say it's the best. Not sayin im an expert, but you should check it out.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:21 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Go with a turbo setup. You can't beat the adjustability of a turbo system. A turbo you can have it 4 lbs daily driving and when that certain z06 pulls up next to you, you can just put the boost controller in max and BAM. Stay away from any roots style s/c they are really crap and create lots of heat at high psi levels. For a s/c I would go with a procharger if you are short on money. The reason I dont recommend KB is because even if I think they make the best s/c out there, the price for the high output 2.6L is almost the same as a turbo setup which I would select hands down any day of the week.

Andrew
Old 02-11-2007, 03:30 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: androdz

Go with a turbo setup. You can't beat the adjustability of a turbo system. A turbo you can have it 4 lbs daily driving and when that certain z06 pulls up next to you, you can just put the boost controller in max and BAM. Stay away from any roots style s/c they are really crap and create lots of heat at high psi levels. For a s/c I would go with a procharger if you are short on money. The reason I dont recommend KB is because even if I think they make the best s/c out there, the price for the high output 2.6L is almost the same as a turbo setup which I would select hands down any day of the week.

Andrew
KB is better for daily driving; torque makes it more fun.

turbos are good for #'s, not as much fun.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:07 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Prochargers pull more tq/hp than KB's do from the dynosheets I have seen. Ever been on a Turbo car?? Not a 4 cyl turbo, talking 05gt/03-04cobra turbo? Nothing is more fun than slamming the pedal and hearing the turbine roar and not a punny whine. Not to mention to blow off next to a car you want to race, that certainly gets their attention ASAP.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:07 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

KB has instant boost as opposed to Procharger which riquires a little more time to get to boost (not nearly as long as a turbo) hence the difference between the 2 types. I personally want the boost instant and in lower RPM's so as not to be running near redline to get max boost. JMO. check this website out for reference between the two. They are using the whipple and the vortech. Both I find are very reliable and the whipple looks factory when done.http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...-3valve46.htmland this one http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...h-alcohol.html. Hope it helps in your decision! Great numbers on the dyno with both!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

Can't wait to put my whipple in !!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/31319/CEB7FEF3D8BC45FE970FE02531F6F3EA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Very nice vocoat!!! I love that polished look! Keep us posted on the progress

Quick Reply: roots vs. centri