Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone Install Borla Cat-Backs Non-Stinger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 11:26 PM
impaler
1st Gear Member

Default Anyone Install Borla Cat-Backs Non-Stinger?

Hey, all,
I've made up my mind; I'm going with Borla cat-backs. I've heard enough clips to know this is the sound I want. My question is whether the Stingers are TOO loud. I don't want to wake up the entire town, but I want more than the stock exhaust gives me. I know everyone says go Stingers, but I don't want to overdo the sound, and even the Borla product catalog states they may be too loud for use in some areas. I am looking at model 140209, which has the standard Borla muffs, not the S-type Stinger muffs. Trouble so far is I can't find the former model anywhere...everyone's selling the cat-backs with the Stingers.

I'm looking for opinions before I decide on one or the other, and espeically would like to hear from anyone that installed the Borla cat-back on a S-197 Mustang withOUT the Stingers. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:47 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Anyone Install Borla Cat-Backs Non-Stinger?

Quick question, how can you have 50 state legal tint. Some states don't allow for any tint?

And to answer the question I would go with the FRPP GTA mufflers. They are cheap and have a deeper tone without add much loudness. IMO the Stingers are not loud and obnoxious by any means so I would say they are not TOO loud as you say.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:25 AM
impaler
1st Gear Member

Naw, I'm definitely going with the Borlas. Just trying to figure out if the non-stingers are worth it.

As for the tint, that's what the dude at the shop told me--I asked for tint that was 50 state legal. Oh well. It's fine in Texas. :-)
Old 02-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

I have had mine on since late 04 and drive her everyday and still this morning when I got in and started my car I sat for a min and enjoyed the sound!!!! you will not be sorry going with the borla/non-stinger the install was a snap and at that time I had very little experince under a car took all of 35 mins to do it and I will say I was lucky enough to use a friends lift and air tools but still I have removed them since in the garage with just a jack and still very simple.

I get nothing but compliments on the sound even from other 05-07 and mustang owners who have done after market work heck even the cops that have pulled me over so far have had only good comments about the sound even been asked to start it up so they could hear it again haha hard not to crack a smile when you are in that situation.

I would only ask you if you are going to do more exhaust work like X/H pipe and headers if not don't bother with cat back and just get the axle back and save a few hundred bucks you won't notice the difference in sound Ford did a great job with the stock exhaust it's the same size just not cromed.