Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New member gathering info on supercharger kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 05:36 PM
juggalo09173

Default New member gathering info on supercharger kits

Hello all, I wanted to stop in, say hi and get some input. I have an 06 GT that my wife had built for me while I was in Iraq. Since getting the car I have some small changes to it while making my way to doing a supercharger. I have done tint, tires, wheels, ducktail, louvers, painted side mirrors, intake, and diablo sport tuner. I have always wanted a supercharger and now I have the money and the go ahead from the woman. I have been set on Kenne Belle up until now. I recently read some input people had on here about he KB kits and although nobody speaks bad of the product I am hearing nothing good about the customer service. Since I am currently stationed in Germany I am thinking it wouldn't be a good idea to go with the company that hascrappycustomer service and support.I also heard from my brother in law that with a basically stock motor I shouldn't go above 8psi of boost. With that I have been looking at ford racing (Whipple) and Saleen kits. Is one a little easier to install thanthe other? I would like be in the 430 to 450 HP range all said and done. Why don't I hear much from people about Vortech, Powerdyne and the others when it comes to Mustangs? Any and all info is greatly appreciated. I am trying to minimize my mistakes here since I wont be doing the work myself for fear of making exspensive mistakes.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New member gathering info on supercharger kits

I can only speak of Saleen, because that is what I went with. VERY happy with it. I'm sure Kenne Belle and Whipple are just as good. The install wasn't bad. Did it in a weekend. I don't know if the others are an easier install or not. Alot of people say these three twin screw superchargers are the most efficient. If I had the choice I would have gotten mine polished though lol

Old 02-14-2007, 05:53 PM
juggalo09173

LOL, ya i am considering spending the extra money for that just for show. Over here in Germany they this car. I am going to be putting it in shows and stuff. I have already had it on display at a club along side some great cars, Lambo, Mercedes Mclaren, Porsche, Skyline and a few others. We all left from the club and Cruised together. Good Night!
Old 02-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Sounds like an awesome time! Can't wait to do that here when the weather gets warmer. Good luck on your choice.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:25 PM
carmanwelder
2nd Gear Member

I had a kb on my 95 auto gt and I have nothing but praise for them, and now the improved versions they have for the newer 05's and up I have heard nothing but good news on them, they work excellent on them. Just for info, the speed shop I deal with put a 2.4 on a 05 GT and with no other mods the car dynoed out at 460 to the wheels. The guy who owns the Stang drives it frequently to Florida from Buffalo and has had no problems with it. March I'll get mine and with the few mods I'll have on the car I should dyno around 500 RWHP + or - 10hp.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Hatchman

Kenne Bell 2.6L Big Bore

Bigger than Saleen or Whipple (2.6L > 2.3)
Bigger means:
Fewer rpm's for same boost
More effecient
Less heat because it spins slower,
Lower parasitic loss (less engine HP to spin),
More boost potential (25psi compared to 14-15 for the Saleen before effeciency is an issue),
More HP potential,
Saleen doesn't come polished.
IAT is downstream of intercooler for more accurate readings, Whipple is still way up by the air filter.
True Cold Air Intake, doesn't suck hot engine air.
Don't need a crowbar, 5# sledge, dented firewall, or lowering mounts to install (most Saleens)
Any tuner can custome dyno tune it, don't have to mail off your PCM or have Ford dealer flash it back to stock or worry about getting stranded when your tuner trys to tune it (Whipple).
Billet aluminum construction, stronger than cast (Whipple and Saleen)
Costs less than the Whipple and less than a JDM Stage 1 or 2 Saleen kit

As far as looks, I think the KB looks a'ight.

As far as customer service, if you have trouble with the Whipple, good luck. I've heard about lots of people who had troubles with the computers. You have to ship you computer off to them to have it flashed. One guy is having trouble, and thinks the problem is with the tune, but Whipple is giving him the run around. Lots of people have complaigned of having lean tunes from Whipple as well. Though many others have been very happy.

Then again, KB is not without fault either. Some people have been snapping tensioners when they bump up the boost past 12psi.

Either way, when you're bolting up something that is guaranteed to void your car's warranty, and force it to put out almost 200rwhp more than it did before, there are going to be some risks.

I love my KB. The only problemI've had is the need for supporting mods; gauges, gauge pod, better brakes, bigger tires, better clutch, etc.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:48 AM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Take a look at Brenspeed.com He sells the Paxton s/c, and has one installed on his 06 GT a/t. You can also e-mail him with any questions about s/c's he is quite knowledgeable about the 05 and up Mustang. He also has a video of his s/c stang, under the sound file section. Serveral people on the forum has his set-up without any problems.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:50 AM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE IN IRAQ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 07:08 AM
juggalo09173

Hey thanks for the input so far, I really appreciate it. I know that Kenne Belle produces a great product. I have felt it at work in my Bro in Laws 03 Lightning, he is pushing 495rwhp with a Kenne Belle in that. The customer service thing is what makes me hesitate because if they will ship to me overseas and I run into issues, it won't be easy for me to work them out from here. The time difference alone makes it a pain to call back there. Let alone in the military my schedule is demanding. Thanks for all your time and info so far. You are welcome cfr865, thanks for aknowledging and saying that. It was my pleasure. Keep it coming, I appreciate it.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:16 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I am going with the Whipple! Here is a link to some info from a popular tuner! http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...-3valve46.html He has one on a vortech as well! Hope it helps and thanks for service in Iraq. http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...h-alcohol.html

Quick Reply: New member gathering info on supercharger kits