Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger decision

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 03:21 AM
Foose12
2nd Gear Member

Default Supercharger decision

Ford Racing 500 HP Mustang 4.6L 3V Supercharger Kit VS. Ford Racing/Whipple 2005-07 Mustang Supercharger Kit(400 HP)

Anybody have any suggestions/opinions/extensive knowledgeof which supercharger whould be most beneficial and best long term on the engine? I have a 2007 Foose Mustang that I am looking to install one of these into. Thanks for the help..........

Old 02-15-2007, 06:25 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Supercharger decision

I am going with the whipple! Check out the numbers you get on this site http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...-3valve46.html. I am close to this tuner and he is well known in Michigan and the Midwest (from what I am told). All my neighbors have mustangs of different years and they trust him as well. He specializes in Mustangs.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Foose12
2nd Gear Member

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

have you considered a Vortrech... .great rep... soild reliablity 500-510 hp @ flywheell....

got one ......love it so far
Old 02-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Hatchman

Kenne Bell 2.6L Big Bore

Bigger than Saleen or Whipple (2.6L > 2.3)
Bigger means:
Fewer rpm's for same boost
More effecient
Less heat because it spins slower,
Lower parasitic loss (less engine HP to spin),
More boost potential (25psi compared to 14-15 for the Saleen before effeciency is an issue),
More HP potential,
Saleen doesn't come polished.
IAT is downstream of intercooler for more accurate readings, Whipple is still way up by the air filter.
True Cold Air Intake, doesn't suck hot engine air.
Don't need a crowbar, 5# sledge, dented firewall, or lowering mounts to install (most Saleens)
Any tuner can custome dyno tune it, don't have to mail off your PCM or have Ford dealer flash it back to stock or worry about getting stranded when your tuner trys to tune it (Whipple).
Billet aluminum construction, stronger than cast (Whipple and Saleen)
Costs less than the Whipple and less than a JDM Stage 1 or 2 Saleen kit

I wouldn't waste my time on a non intercooled S/C.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:16 PM
07GTgo
1st Gear Member

i guess ur pretty set on twin screw, but if ur not... centris(procharger, vortech, paxton, procharger best in my mind)are much more engine friendly...when ur cruising around town its like driving a N/A car so gas mileage isnt harmed and it works basically the same as a turbo(blasts and mid-low to high RPM's...some people say roots & twin screw s/c's are better, but the fact of the matter is turbos RAPE
thats why they're on every supercar (saleen S7 tt, audi lemans tt, etc.)
if u go forged internals expect 600+HP at fly on 13psi from procharger on pump gas
check out their website
Old 02-15-2007, 10:20 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

hatchman, i agree, go intercooled or go home haha.

i thought the ford racing one and the whipple one were pretty much the same?

personally, id go with a KB big bore. the 2.6L one. can't beat that kind of displacement for the reasons hatchman said; plus its a little bit less expensive than the whipple, plus the whine.......ohhhh, that whine.......

but really, between the KB and the whipple, your not going to be dissapointed with either; both have reasons to buy, and the choice comes down to personal preference on what you've heard about them.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Here's my personal opinon which is just how I feel about most things. If you're going to do something do it right.. The Intercooled all the way. If you're like me you may be happy with the 400hp for sometime but the bug will eventually start itching you and telling you that you need more power. At that point you will say to yourself why didn't I go with the kit that makes more power to begin with.

It's kind of like buying a car. Why did you buy the GT over the Vs. the V6 model??? Because it's nicer and faster and an all around better model of the mustang. That should hopefully clear it up for you.
ORIGINAL: Foose12

Ford Racing 500 HP Mustang 4.6L 3V Supercharger Kit VS. Ford Racing/Whipple 2005-07 Mustang Supercharger Kit(400 HP)

Anybody have any suggestions/opinions/extensive knowledgeof which supercharger whould be most beneficial and best long term on the engine? I have a 2007 Foose Mustang that I am looking to install one of these into. Thanks for the help..........

Old 02-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

I agree that the KB is a great kit and the bigger displacement seems like it would be the more powerful kit. However, I personally haven't seen any comparison track times for the KB 2.6L against the 2.3L Whipple.

Also,
Just to clerify the KB is not less expensive then the Whipple if you compare the kits to each other. The 2.6L KB Kit is $5699.00 and does not include any type of fuel system upgrade besides the BAP.So yest it is about $75.00 less than the Whipple kit but the Whipple H.O. Kit in Black now sells at $5775.99. The Whipple does not include a BAP which is valued at about $249 but it does include the Ford Racing GT500 Complete Fuel System which Ford sells for $760.00 or so. So looking at that it's the Whipple that gives the better value. This is not in anyway intended to be a low blow to the KB or to start a KB Vs. Whipple thread but just to compare apples to apples. Cheers!! Jared@Lethal

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

hatchman, i agree, go intercooled or go home haha.

i thought the ford racing one and the whipple one were pretty much the same?

personally, id go with a KB big bore. the 2.6L one. can't beat that kind of displacement for the reasons hatchman said; plus its a little bit less expensive than the whipple, plus the whine.......ohhhh, that whine.......

but really, between the KB and the whipple, your not going to be dissapointed with either; both have reasons to buy, and the choice comes down to personal preference on what you've heard about them.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:31 AM
carmanwelder
2nd Gear Member

You don't need a fuel system upgrade with a KB it comes with a boost a pump. I just talked with the speedshop that's going to install my KB blower and he assured me the car would dyno 430 - 450 rwhp with no other mods than the blower. He's done hundreds of them and he races his too, been doing it all his life. His has put out 530 rwhp with no lower end mods. He did state that you don't really want to go past that without other mods or you'll trash the engine. By the way his mustang is featured in Mustangs and fast Fords. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Supercharger decision