Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Reserve gas after E

Old 02-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Tungsten
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Reserve gas after E

FYI, I made it home
Old 02-15-2007, 08:25 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I don't understand why you'd want to pushyour luckthat far in the first place. Either you're tolazy to fillit up, are totally broke,or think you're saving something? I'll give you a hint. Whether the car says 50 miles to empty or 0 miles to empty, it's still using the same amount of gas. Why push the envelope unless you like to push your car or look like a dork walking down the road with a gas can? I have to admit I've been down to 10 miles to empty and the gas guage gets eiree with that red glow. I figured a hammer comes out a hits you on the head whenit gets to zero so I've never gone lower LOL.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:08 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

OK, interesting..not sure I want to push my luck tho...
Old 02-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Hatchman

I got down to zero to go, filled it up, and put 14.5 gallons in it, and the tank is a 16.0. So I think it's safe to say you've got a little over a gallon to go. Making 20 miles without ******* on it shouldn't be hard.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:28 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: BoidMorphs

I don't understand why you'd want to pushyour luckthat far in the first place. Either you're tolazy to fillit up, are totally broke,or think you're saving something? I'll give you a hint. Whether the car says 50 miles to empty or 0 miles to empty, it's still using the same amount of gas. Why push the envelope unless you like to push your car or look like a dork walking down the road with a gas can? I have to admit I've been down to 10 miles to empty and the gas guage gets eiree with that red glow. I figured a hammer comes out a hits you on the head whenit gets to zero so I've never gone lower LOL.
I push it to 0 and beyond because I know there is plenty left to get me home from work or whatever. Sometimes if I get off work at 5 in the morning I am not also wanting to get out and fill the car up when I can make it home and then do it on the way in the next day in the evening when I am not tired and its not -10 wind chill.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:34 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Better to be tired and face the wind chill than walking and facing the wind chill
Old 02-15-2007, 11:45 PM
impaler
1st Gear Member

How do you let it get that bad? I would suggest leaving a few minutes earlier in the morning to hit a gas pump. Why risk it? :-)
Old 02-16-2007, 12:53 AM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't let mine get that low and purposly do nothing.
Someone mentioned that letting it get bone dry is bad for the fuel pump.
That's true, but my concern starts way before that.
The last bit of gas in your tank is the stuff with all of the sediments in it.
I'd never forcefeed that to my baby.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:08 AM
RetroS197
1st Gear Member

I like to fill up when it gets bone dry and only a gallon or so, this way the car weighs less and therefore theoretically get better mileage and acceleration too. LOL plus I have to pay with lint or wrapers sometimes. LOL
Old 02-16-2007, 03:32 AM
steamfish
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hatchman

I got down to zero to go, filled it up, and put 14.5 gallons in it, and the tank is a 16.0. So I think it's safe to say you've got a little over a gallon to go. Making 20 miles without ******* on it shouldn't be hard.
Ditto for me too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reserve gas after E