Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Reserve gas after E

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 03:37 AM
HMUSN
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Reserve gas after E

****.. mine hasn't seen under half a tank since i bought it
Old 02-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

The closer to E the faster the car.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:22 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

haha i love the contorversy
Old 02-16-2007, 10:58 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Very few people realize that E doesn't mean empty. It means Enough!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:58 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Not a good idea to run the tank low. Even if you don't starve the fuel pump, you can overheat it if it's not sufficiently submerged. Obviously not a problem for us northerners this month, but it's something to consider when the weather is warm.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:02 AM
Tungsten
2nd Gear Member

Lazy? More like efficient I have my reasons....specifically, if I don't get out of downtown before 4:15, traffic is so bad you don't get out alive [:@]. There are no gas stations downtown in the direction I was going, so I just hopped on the expressway and got to the gas station off the exit by my house. Call it what you want, but deep down I knew I'd make it [8D]

ORIGINAL: BoidMorphs

I don't understand why you'd want to pushyour luckthat far in the first place. Either you're tolazy to fillit up, are totally broke,or think you're saving something? I'll give you a hint. Whether the car says 50 miles to empty or 0 miles to empty, it's still using the same amount of gas. Why push the envelope unless you like to push your car or look like a dork walking down the road with a gas can? I have to admit I've been down to 10 miles to empty and the gas guage gets eiree with that red glow. I figured a hammer comes out a hits you on the head whenit gets to zero so I've never gone lower LOL.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:35 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Glad you made it LOL. I have a similar situation sometimes. I have gas stations near work and near home but none downtown, so if I need gas but blow past the stations near my starting point, I'm sometimes worried that I'll make it.

I usually fill up when it says 50 miles to E, and it usually takes about 12.5 gallons to fill up. That should mean there's 3.5 gallons left in the 16 gal. tank. At 20 MPG, there should be 2.5 gallons left to empty. That would mean at empty, there's actually 1 gallon left in the tank.

There a couple of other things that you have to bear in mind with these calculations, though. First, the tank is 16 gallons, but there's a small amount of gas in the filler tube. The oher thing is that the pickup in the tank can get most of the gas out of the tank, but not all. So there's a small amount of inaccuracy.

Someone said that the miles to empty varies depending on how he's been driving. This is correct and is actually the way it has to be. This is an estimate, and is based on the average MPG that you've been getting for the previous 500 miles. If you drive like a granny for a while, your miles to E will be higher for a given amount of gas. If you drive like a maniac, they'll be lower. However, if you drive fairly consistently - either granny or maniac or somewhere in between - it should be pretty accurate. And it will keep you from feeding that crap at the bottom of the tank to your engine.

This whole discussion reminds me of the discussions that you see on the camera forums about the number of pictures left on a memory card. That's an estimate, too.

BTW, does the tank on your Mustang seem to be kinda small? It seems like I fill up the tank on my Mustang more often than other cars I've owned. I know my Crown Vic can go over 400 miles before I have to fill up compared to the300 or so miles that the Mustang can do.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:14 AM
sneppahtihs2005

its probably the way you drive it. i used to live in orlando and averaged 250-280 miles a tank. now i live 30 miles outside of panama city and have to drive that everyday and get about 400-420 miles a tank.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:19 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

So you're saying I'm a leadfoot? LOL
Old 02-18-2007, 03:28 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

You must drive it like a ***** to average over 25+ MPG!

j/k[sm=smiley2.gif]

Quick Reply: Reserve gas after E