Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dealer proposes K&N cai instead of frpp

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 02:28 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Dealer proposes K&N cai instead of frpp

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

ORIGINAL: Goldenpony

The "other" K&N is the Aircharger. I have it and it is very nice. One of the only CAI's that do not require a tune.
You have to be careful with this.

There are only two ways that a CAI can work without requring a new tune:

1) They don't really do anything, so no tune is needed. Needless to say, this is a waste of your $$$. You should buy a CAI that actually gets good gains instead.

2) They include a special, non-standard calibrated MAF sensor (like the Granatelli). These work well, but they can cause problems down the road if you do more mods and you need a tune. Most tunes are designed for the OEM MAF, not these special ones.

Again, check out the new C&L intake, pretty cool, 20hp and no tune using the sleeve, take the sleeve out and get a tune for even more hp. They sell the sleeve individually, and I would think those with C&L intakes might want to have it for testing purposes if you thought your performance tune was causing a problem. You could put the sleeve in temporarily and load the stock tune to see if the performance tune was causing a problem. Check it out.

http://www.cnlperformance.com/2005GT.html
Old 02-18-2007, 04:53 PM
ATCincy

I'm running the Aircharger with Brenspeeds 93 octane tune and am very happy with it. Being a teenager back in the 80's, K&N was the brand of preference back then. Does that make me "old school"?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Without a a Brenspeed tune or Evolution tune you are all wasting your time. Though I prefer Brenspeed it pulls harder than the Evolution tune.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:36 AM
KeeJoZ
1st Gear Member

Hello again,

Decided yesterday and got my flowmasters on this morning, I'll be back in the shop tomorrow for the C&L racer CAI.
It came with the wrong tuner today, so they'll have the new one for me tomorrow (7145 instead of the 7140)
Afterwards, I'm going for a custom tune. They guy who set me up has a custom one on his car and it runs great!!

Thanks and I'll be back soon to brag :-p
Old 02-24-2007, 06:27 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

go with ba ma ch ips.com their tune is among the best and they actually update their tunes for free. Same cannot be said for others.

Andrew
Old 02-24-2007, 12:58 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Your dealer should be slapped for discussing this with you. All of the mentioned systems are known to create fueling issues. I am not saying that they will, rather they can and likely will compared to the stock system. Besides, unless that dealer is scamming FoMoCo -if and when you experience fueling issues related to this setup it won't be warrantable. Every day I find vehicles that run lean because of these setups and I tell the dealer to return it to stock. And it fixes it. GO FIGURE!
See the thread in the basic05/06/07 forum of the guy who melted spark plugs. Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are people with these setups that have no problems. But, a good dealer will not only refuse to diagnose concerns related to your mods, but they should not file a claim for a part that failed because of them as well. With that being said, you dealer should be ashamed for encouraging you to jump on a boat that could potentially sink.