Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

JBA Long Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 12:59 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Default JBA Long Tubes

I've done my searching on long tube headers and have come down to Kooks JBA and Dynatech... I really like the JBA products have heard some good things about them i was thinking of going with the JBA Stainless Steel LT's with Hi Flow H pipe ... I was just wondering if anyone has any expierence with them or any suggestions... I like the Dynatech and Kooks as well but i havnt been able to find a complete set with the H pipe only the X pipe and the price of the JBA seems a little better than the kooks.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-18-2007, 01:20 AM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Default RE: JBA Long Tubes

JBA is the only one out of the companies you mentioned that offer an H-Pipe. While all those brands are great headers it's going to come down to your personal preference. We stock all of them as well and we would definitely offer you the best we can. Before purchasing give us a call and we'd be glad to speak you about your options to make sure you get what you want. Thanks, Jared@Lethal
Old 02-18-2007, 11:22 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Most header makers don't make H-pipes....mainly becasue it is an antiquated design. X pipes flow better, and thus they are the norm now. H-pipes are 60's era technology.

The JBA headers have good workmanship. My only complaint is that they are 409 stainless steel, which is a cheap grade that can and will rust on you. The better makers like AR, Kooks, and Dynatech use 304 stainless, which is a much better material.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:56 AM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

409 is a lesser grade steel, but JBA does make the ceramic coated headers, and not too many of the other companies do from what I can tell....

the creamic should help some bit with under hood temps and it also should help stave off corrosion(sp?) longer then just the straight 409 uncoated headers...
Old 02-18-2007, 06:07 PM
lynwood78
3rd Gear Member

I ended up going with the hi-floe H-pipe. I love the sound it makes. I wonder if I went with the off-road X be in sound wise. I want my car to sound like ols school muscle not nascar type sound.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:47 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

20 rear wheel HP seems to be a popular number when talking about gains from longtubes, but it seems your performance will vary depending on whether you go with an X or an H, and with cats or no cats.

Is someone with hi-flow cats and an H-pipe likely to get even less than this, like maybe only 15 HP? I am thinking of going with longtubes as well, but it seems like a lot of money to spend when pulleys could get me over half that for a fraction of the cost and hassle.

I have also read about some people questioning the advantage of the longtubes in naturally aspirated cars, claiming a max of 10 hp. Does anyone around here have before and after dyno results?
Old 02-18-2007, 06:53 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl
My only complaint is that they are 409 stainless steel, which is a cheap grade that can and will rust on you. The better makers like AR, Kooks, and Dynatech use 304 stainless, which is a much better material.
How long can those 409 longtubes last? My car is driven in winter so it sees plenty of salt and snow, but I will likely be getting a new Mustang once they hit the streets in 2010-2011, so I don't need them to last forever.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I've heard 14 horsepower to the rear wheels. It's expensive to go fast but what the heck with all this talk of gear whine maybe it's the best way to go. I know I'm never going to get a supercharger unless I inherit some money.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:20 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Most header makers don't make H-pipes....mainly becasue it is an antiquated design. X pipes flow better, and thus they are the norm now. H-pipes are 60's era technology.

The JBA headers have good workmanship. My only complaint is that they are 409 stainless steel, which is a cheap grade that can and will rust on you. The better makers like AR, Kooks, and Dynatech use 304 stainless, which is a much better material.

really? i find that interesting; the mustang GT's come stock with h-pipes. could it be for sound purposes?

and don't H pipes have some value over x's too? like the sound, and low end torque?

idk, i used to be die hard H pipe. but now, i just don't know anymore lol.