Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Werring noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Bob11

Default Werring noise

I am new to this and need education, I have a 06 GT all stock 300Hp I have had it for a year now, has about 10,000 mi on it. the thing is with all the new eletronics on this Iam unable to do much work. In the past when I started the car the werring noise was there, sounded like some kind of ram air or turbin sound, as I went faster it would get louder. What is the noise from? Wellnow it has stoped and only hear it no and then. also have a lower gas milage and stronger gas smell in the exaust.

Bob
Old 02-20-2007, 02:05 PM
scrmngt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Werring noise

Sounds like warranty work to me...bring it back to the dealer and get it checked by the service dept.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:53 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

I have the same problem and am scheduled to have a ride with the service manager tomorrow when I take her in for my first 3,000 mile service(oil change, tire rotation, and whatever else they do).

My noise is a bit different than yours though, I do call it a whirring noise, but it only happens when you are off the gas at about 40+MPH, hit the gas and it goes away.

I think it is driveshaft related, I am still not sure if we have a 1 or 2 piece shaft, it has been too nasty to crawl under the car and I still haven't gotten a decent response on these forums. Also did a search for "driveshaft" on here and didn't get anything useful.

What I do know is that it didn't start until a couple weeks ago when I finally got enough highway space to bury the speedometer for the first time...next day is when I noticed it.

My guess is that Ford has let a weak link slide by in this otherwise awesome car.

I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:57 PM
acstone7
3rd Gear Member

It's a two piece Driveshaft, bleh
Old 02-20-2007, 10:40 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

So it's definately a 2-piece driveshaft?

Yours is the first response I've had on this although I've mentioned it on several threads.

If so, I'm thinking my first instinct is right and that my carrier bearing is done for.

Why in the he!! would Ford add an extra "breaking point" to this car, though?

It baffles my mind, LOL.

Thanks,
Lance
Old 02-20-2007, 10:51 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

lol. simplicity i suppose, but hmm, it would be easier to make a-piece
Old 02-21-2007, 12:47 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LanceH
My noise is a bit different than yours though, I do call it a whirring noise, but it only happens when you are off the gas at about 40+MPH, hit the gas and it goes away.
That sounds like the gears, not the driveshaft. I have the same exact sound. I've also had my drivehaft replaced due to vibration issues, and that sound did not go away. I'm not an expert by any means, but everything I've read has said that whine on decel = gears.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:11 AM
scoots
2nd Gear Member

I'm new to these forums so hi everyone....

Had the same issue on my '05 GT. In my case it was the gears. The guy at my dealership said this was a known issue, and a design change was made. I don't know when in production that happened. They installed the new gears and I have not had a problem for the two months since install.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:09 AM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

I'll be sure to mention the gears when I go in this morning, but since mine is an '07, that design change musthave never happened if it is the gears.
Sounds to me though, that the noise is more directly underneath me, not further back, but I'll be happy to get it resolved one way or the other.
I'm just worried about something blowing apart under there.
Like I told the guy at the dealership when I made the appt, if it does blow apart, and I survive, I'll be driving something a he!! of a lot nicer than a Mustang, as much as I love her, LOL.

Lance
Old 02-21-2007, 09:12 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

It was indeed the gears, I should listen to you guys, LOL.
Just got the oil change, etc... today, I return to drop it off Monday for the gear fix.
I think this possibly presents a unique opportunity for me: 3.73's are one thing on my wish list, since they are responsible for the entire bill on the warranty work, including labor, I wonder if I bought the gears and the Royal Purple, they would go ahead and install them?
I didn't think about this until this evening which is why I didn't ask while I was there.
On a side note, I think it is incredibly sad that they won't give me a courtesy car while mine is in for an obvious factory defect/screw-up; I have to pay for a rental.
And they wonder why they lost billions last year, are going to have to lay off thousands, and will be the 2nd domestic car company to fall to Toyota.
It's small stuff like this that determines where people spend their hard earned dollars.
I for one will be done with Ford once I'm done with my 'Stang, no matter how much I love her.
Between my initial bad experience at the stealership where I bought her, with them trying to rip me off by trying to replace my 5 year Cap One Loan with a $15/month cheaper 6 year Ford loan to now the dealer I switched to for my $820 3 year/36K prepaid maintenance plan not giving me a free loaner, I've had enough of Ford.
They won't see any more of my money, and it's truly a shame, since I love the car.

Lance