Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

what do you call these parts: tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:27 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Default what do you call these parts: tubes?

forgive me if this info is out there somewhere but i certainly can't find it. i'm trying to finish up my exhaust work and want some high flow, metallic substratecats from bassani/pypes/???. what i DON'T want is to have to buy another bassani x-pipe just so i can get the rest of the setup. i found some cats, but the mandrel bent tubing i have found in numerous places does not have the "lip" on it to hold it via flange against the header exit point. does this make sense? here's a picture of what i'm talking about. it's the first thing that attaches to the header that I'm lookin for and i just don't know what it's called. i also don't know why i can't seem to find any for sale on their own without having to buy all the other stuff that follows. i can find the 45 degree mandrel bent ss tubing, but not with the "lip" for the flanges!!!! AAAGGGHHHHHH!.

thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/56967/971B897DDDAA402CA3898B0D23289ACC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-22-2007, 08:57 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what do you call these parts: tubes?

Why don't you simply cut up your existing midpipe and have your new cats welded in?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:57 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

I already cut the oem h-pipe out and installed the Bassani x pipe. Right now i have the oem cats on there. I don't want anybody else welding anything on there simply because i don't trust anybody. I'd rather just use the clamps and do it myself. That way if it gets effed up I know where to look! I'm sure many would have an opinion one way or the other, but i'm trying to avoid welding stuff just in case i need to go back to oem for some unforeseen reason or if i just decide i want a different setup.

I know Bassani sells what i'm looking for, but the tech who emailed me was less than helpful and he pointed out that fitment is not guaranteed. Not to mention they wanted over $100 per cat and like $60 or something for the "tubes" i'm talking about. Maybe I'll just decide I'm being cheap and I'll spring for the entire kit and just sell the x-pipe by itself on ebay. But right now i'm looking into how i can save money.

So the question still stands: anybody know what those pipes are called, or at least what it's called when they are "trumpteted" at the top end to connect to the headers?
Old 02-23-2007, 03:22 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The part you are talking about is not standardized. In other words, you can't just buy them off the shelf. Your only hope would be to buy them from a company that fabricates midpipes for these cars, like Bassaini for example. You can buy various genericexhaust parts piece-by-piece but this is not a part like that.

I would sell your current midipe and just buy one with the high-flow cats that you want.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:40 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Aaaahhh, I see. My ignorance preceeds me! Thanks CrazyAl and looks like I need to start putting pennies in my piggy bank. . .