Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Looking at an 06/07 GT 'vert

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 06:39 PM
LasrRd00GT

Default Looking at an 06/07 GT 'vert

Looking at an 06 or 07 GT convertible. Either yellow or red but was wondering what you guys think of yours. Acceleration, top speed, handling, interior, any problems, cars youve raced and beat... It will definetly be a 5 speed.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:26 PM
delstang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Looking at an 06/07 GT 'vert

Love mine and I had to have yellow.Had a '96 Cobra convertible but the new mustangs are much tighter and stiffer and handle better. Stock acceleration was good but after a CAI, custom tune, and 3:73 gears it really accelarates hard now. Don't know about top speed as I haven't has mine over 115 nor doI plan to. Those days are over. Most magazines have the top speed at a drag limited speed of 147 mph. I went with the auto, tired of shifting, but with a good custom tune and tuning of your auto tranny I can't see how you can shift any faster than my auto. It is instaneous without worrying about missing a gear when you don't want to. Recwas my second choice.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Drop Top 06
3rd Gear Member

my friend is an officer of the law, and a fellow enthusiast. He set up position on a straight road.. and clocked me at 137 with the top down. Now, I do have a cdc light bar which added to the interior cockpit noise.. there is obviously some shake, and I think the hood had a lil movement, but i was focused on going straight... I did find that the Tungsten Gray goes faster than the red or yellow. Maybe the color helps with the aerodynamics... lol seriously though, I love mine, and am waiting for the weather to thaw to put on the stingers, xpipe and cai...
Old 02-24-2007, 01:09 AM
polishhammer36

Have an 06 GT 5 speed and love the car. I haven't done any mods yet, but I think the car is great stock, plenty fast and of course beautiful. Haven't driven it much in the last 2-3 months, awaiting the first nice day to put the top down and go cruisin. I think the fit and finish is good, like the ergonomics of the interior, don't think its noisy with the top down (exhaust sounds even better with the top down). Overall very happy with the car.
Not to change the topic here, but was at the Atlantic City car show/auction today and they had 2 Saleen Parnelli Jones cars up for auction, absolutely beautiful in person. Saleen does great things with our cars IMO.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:14 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I have an 06 GT Vert and love it. I've had a 90 LX 5.0 and 95 GT and this is by far the best. No problems with the car outside of TSB's but those have since been resolved. I too went with the auto but with the CAI/Tune and gears it runs great. I think you will be very happy!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 12:25 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Love my vert...is auto tho...I would buy it again if I were to...no regrets...
Old 02-24-2007, 05:33 PM
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

I bought an 07 Convertible GT in October of last year and love it. Went with the Alloy and have no regrets. The only thing I would like to change is where I live. The Mustang has been in the garage for the past three months. Spring is coming, just not fast enough.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:10 PM
emt4fire1951

We had a 2002 GT vert and decided to sell last year and get a new vehicle. Looked at all sorts of stuff, SRT8's blah blah blah. Finally looked at each other and said "Mustang" Called my daughter who is the warrenty administrator for our local dealer and told her to warn the sales manager I'm comming. (I'm a real pain tn the a#s) We went with exactly what we wanted, black/black vert, blades, 5 speed, all options etc. They found one at another dealer and gaveme what I wanted for trade of the 2002. This new Stang is by far the best car we have driven for the price. You won't be sorry. There are so many after market goodies and performance parts and the beast responds well to upgrades.
Get the stang you wont regret it!
Old 02-24-2007, 07:25 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I love my vert but it's safe to say they're not for everyone. Having ridden motorcycles for years in a state where there's no helmet law, I love the feeling of the wind going all around me, the sun shining down, and unlimited visibility when driving down scenic mountain roads, etc. There are some downsides to owning a vert vs.the coupe. Security: If you have to park in a not so desireable neighborhood or have enemies, the roof can easily be slashed for entry or just plain vandalized. Trunk storage: the rear seats DON'T fold down so if you have something that doesn't quite fit in the trunk you're done for. I also locked my keys inside the trunk once and, even though the car was unlocked, there was no way to access the trunk. With a coupe you can fold one of the rear seats down to get in there. Even if youcompletely removethe rear seat in a vert, there's metal behind it. Heads Up Factor: If the top's down and a seagull flies overhead....it happened to me LOL. The car was parked within view. I saw the birds circling around nearby but didn't think much about it.When the wife went to sit down there it was in more than one place I might add! Drag Racing: You'll need a functional roll cage built in if you fall below a certain time and the car's about 150 lbs. heavier, roll cage weight not even included. Final negative is increased maintenance due to upkeep on the roof (if you want it to last). Mine is garaged so this is much less of an issue. If it had to keep my car outdoors, however,I'dprefer a hard top.
On an up note, the recognition (you WILL BE NOTICED even more) and fun factor ofhearing the exhaust note and feeling the outdoors all around you makes it all worth while! This car is solid and is a joy to drive topless. With some mods it only gets better!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 12:41 AM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

grey, everyone loves it, no problems yet

Quick Reply: Looking at an 06/07 GT 'vert