Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

how long will the 4.6 3v last?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 12:35 AM
FirePower
1st Gear Member

Default RE: how long will the 4.6 3v last?

ORIGINAL: impaler

ORIGINAL: 06SaLeEn

This is going to be a tuff question since these motors are new. I am sure the 05 owners are not going to have to much more than 50k miles tops (this is alot!!) Kind of a pointless question IMO
That's way off, IMHO. Cars today, with their more exacting tolerances and with fully synthetic oil, you should be disappointed if you achieve less than 100,000 miles. Bottom line: if you abuse this car, like any other car, every time you drive it, then don't expect it to last forever. Just because it carries the Mustang badge, doesn't mean it's immune to abuse. If you drive it normally (i.e. not stomping it all the time), and baby it a bit, it will last longer. Basic rule of thumb for mechanical machines.
Oh, well -scratch my car off the everlasting engine list!
If I didn't wanna beat on it I woulda bought a Camry.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:38 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

my mom navi (4v 5.4L) has 170,000 miles on it; motor fine. TRANNY a differnt story; POS. My last car was a 3000GT that has 168,000 miles on it and i drove that car (I got it when i was 18, enough said) the motor and tranny are still strong! the only dif between me and most kids at the time was i took care of that car. I got all oil changes, tune ups, etc.
the old 4.6 in the crown vics (cop cars) take a beatin and last pretty well

I "think" if you take care of your car; even if you drive it like the avg person drives a mustang; it should be fine.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

5W-20 weight oil is very thin, increasing the probability of metal-to-metal contact. These engines will die far sooner than necessary, only because Ford needed to meetfuel mileageminimums. I went to 5W-30 a few weeks ago. My mileage did suffer a wee bit, but I'm betting the engine will live longer as a result.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:01 AM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Virgule

5W-20 weight oil is very thin, increasing the probability of metal-to-metal contact. These engines will die far sooner than necessary, only because Ford needed to meetfuel mileageminimums. I went to 5W-30 a few weeks ago. My mileage did suffer a wee bit, but I'm betting the engine will live longer as a result.
That's just ridiculous. The oil is the viscosity it is due to tight tolerances and the fact that the VCT system has small passages that require oil to flow easily - especially when cold or in need of changing. Trust me, 10 points won't be the difference between live and die - and Ford doesn't use 5W-30 only for fuel mileage.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FirePower
If I didn't wanna beat on it I woulda bought a Camry.
Ditto. I bought a 'Stang because I wanted something I could zip around town in without it falling apart. That's why I bought a sports car that's designed for agressive driving. Red-lining and transmission screw-ups aside, if the S197 can't hack 80mph between red-lights, it doesn't deserve to be a "sport coupe". [>:]

That said, I fully expect this engine to last a LONG time. Engines today are built better and with better materials than in the past. With regular maintenance, it SHOULD last well beyond 150-thousand to 200-thousand miles.

Of course, I'll probably have bought the next 'Stang model by then.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:20 PM
06blueovalblueGT
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the 5-20w , these motors tolerances are measured in "cockhairs" and
the VCT needs the flow of the '20. Even a honda will croak if you run the pure ****
out of it, just like johnnyV8 said , look at all the cop cars that have the hell beat out
of them, not to mention all the time they sit and idle, then the Jethro Bodieen "DoubleKnotSpy"
wannabes get ahold of them at auctionand rag 'em even more..............
I feel pretty good about minelasting a long time.

P.S. must stop now, gone to the racetrack LOL!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

That's just ridiculous. The oil is the viscosity it is due to tight tolerances and the fact that the VCT system has small passages that require oil to flow easily - especially when cold or in need of changing. Trust me, 10 points won't be the difference between live and die - and Ford doesn't use 5W-30 only for fuel mileage.
Says you. AMSOIL says this:

Question: My owners manual species 5W-20 oil. Do I really need to use 5W-20 oil and why did my 2000 model year vehicle require a 5W-30 oil, while the exact same engine in my 2001, 2002 and newer engines "requires" a 5W-20 oil?

Answer: You do not need to use a 5W-20 oil. In fact, we recommend that you DO NOT. We know that even OEM Lubrication Engineers do not agree with Ford and Honda's calling for a 5W-20 oil, because the engines are designed for 30-weight oil, and engineers believe that a 20-weight oil will decrease engine life. Do not let your dealer scare you by telling you that you have to use it for your warranty. That is a tactic that some dealerships use to scare customers. Once you know the facts and the Federal Magnusson Moss Act law you will be much better informed to protect your rights and use the type of oil you want to use.

The main reason 5W-20 was specified for your engine is to increase the CAFE reported to the Federal Government. CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) is the combined average fuel economy of all of a vehicle manufacturers product line. Minimum CAFE levels are specified by the Federal Government, and financial penalties are large if they fail to meet the minimum. In order for a vehicle manufacturer to continue selling profitable large trucks and SUV's, which typically have poor fuel mileage ratings, as compared to smaller cars, and still meet mandated CAFE requirements, they must also sell enough of the smaller cars which have much better fuel economy ratings to offset the poor fuel economy ratings of the larger vehicles. For model year 2001, the change to a 5W-20 oil will allow Ford and Honda's overall CAFE to increase by a very small amount, typically in the tenths of a mile per gallon range. 5W-20 oil is a lighter viscosity than a 5W-30 oil and therefore has less internal engine frictional losses, or less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valvetrain, which in turn promotes increased fuel economy. This increased fuel economy is virtually undetectable to the average motorist without the use of specialized engine monitoring and testing equipment under strictly controlled test track driving when compared to a 5W-30, 10W-30 or a 0W-30 viscosity motor oil.
Between your opinion and their's, I'll go with them.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

How 'bout we do this...

1. We get a poll of everyone here with a 05-07 'Stang with 50k+ miles on it, and ask them how many have had to buy a new engine or rebuild it (due to normal wear, of course).

2. Those of us with a daily driver, use whatever the best oil is that Ford will let us use under warranty. The rest, use something else. After 100k miles, come back and post your results.

3. When the engine dies, and its death is linked directly to Ford demanding less than ideal oil, we refuse to pay for repairs because of a factory mandated policy that prevented us from possibly using better lubrication.

[>:]
Old 02-26-2007, 04:49 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

Says you. AMSOIL says this:

Question: My owners manual species 5W-20 oil. Do I really need to use 5W-20 oil and why did my 2000 model year vehicle require a 5W-30 oil, while the exact same engine in my 2001, 2002 and newer engines "requires" a 5W-20 oil?

Answer: You do not need to use a 5W-20 oil. In fact, we recommend that you DO NOT. We know that even OEM Lubrication Engineers do not agree with Ford and Honda's calling for a 5W-20 oil, because the engines are designed for 30-weight oil, and engineers believe that a 20-weight oil will decrease engine life. Do not let your dealer scare you by telling you that you have to use it for your warranty. That is a tactic that some dealerships use to scare customers. Once you know the facts and the Federal Magnusson Moss Act law you will be much better informed to protect your rights and use the type of oil you want to use.

The main reason 5W-20 was specified for your engine is to increase the CAFE reported to the Federal Government. CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) is the combined average fuel economy of all of a vehicle manufacturers product line. Minimum CAFE levels are specified by the Federal Government, and financial penalties are large if they fail to meet the minimum. In order for a vehicle manufacturer to continue selling profitable large trucks and SUV's, which typically have poor fuel mileage ratings, as compared to smaller cars, and still meet mandated CAFE requirements, they must also sell enough of the smaller cars which have much better fuel economy ratings to offset the poor fuel economy ratings of the larger vehicles. For model year 2001, the change to a 5W-20 oil will allow Ford and Honda's overall CAFE to increase by a very small amount, typically in the tenths of a mile per gallon range. 5W-20 oil is a lighter viscosity than a 5W-30 oil and therefore has less internal engine frictional losses, or less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valvetrain, which in turn promotes increased fuel economy. This increased fuel economy is virtually undetectable to the average motorist without the use of specialized engine monitoring and testing equipment under strictly controlled test track driving when compared to a 5W-30, 10W-30 or a 0W-30 viscosity motor oil.
Between your opinion and their's, I'll go with them.

(Retracted statement). There is truthin the article listed above. There is propaganda as well. Keep in mind this is a statement from an entity that has an agenda (selling Amsoiloil).Althoughmy voice may seem biased, I come here with the intentiontopreventyouguys from becoming victimsof misleading information from incredible sources. I have no agenda. I help people diagnose problems with FLM products for a living - regardless of who pays for it. I could blow smoke up the asses of lamen daily without their knowledge but I choose only to discuss matters well within my expertise. If you don't agree - fine. But you'd betterbring accurate arguments if you choose to challenge me. Use 5W30 if you want. Ford and I could not care less.If your 4.6 3v pops early - IT IS NOT THE PRODUCT OF 5W20 OIL! End of story. Saying that a car maker recommends oil thatwill facilitate early engine failure is a claim that runs parallel to Gerber putting rat poison in baby food.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Arrow

How 'bout we do this...

1. We get a poll of everyone here with a 05-07 'Stang with 50k+ miles on it, and ask them how many have had to buy a new engine or rebuild it (due to normal wear, of course).

2. Those of us with a daily driver, use whatever the best oil is that Ford will let us use under warranty. The rest, use something else. After 100k miles, come back and post your results.

3. When the engine dies, and its death is linked directly to Ford demanding less than ideal oil, we refuse to pay for repairs because of a factory mandated policy that prevented us from possibly using better lubrication.

[>:]
The entire premise of your proposal is faulty. Ford does not, and cannot, MANDATE the use of any particular oil brand, grade or viscosity.The law states that if they require a particular brand or type of oil, they also have to supply it. As an owner, your only requirement is to use an API certified oil.

Quick Reply: how long will the 4.6 3v last?