Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Spring Project, Exhaust, Age Old Question

Old 02-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

Default Spring Project, Exhaust, Age Old Question

I know has been discussed alot but . . . Spring project is exhaust. I want more HP . whats the most I can get from exhaust? do the stock cats have to go? SLP LOUDMOUTH AXLEBACK looks nice for around $350? hows performance? I dont necessarily want a loud sound at low RPMs, will this blow away the teacher as i pick up the kids from school? I hear magnaflows are not so noisy at low RPM but add 11 or so HP? open to suggestions . . . .
Old 02-25-2007, 01:26 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Spring Project, Exhaust, Age Old Question

Axlebacks are not really a performance mod....more sound and looks. Someone stated that they got 11 HP from Corsa but they did not post a dyno. Otherwise you might gain 1-2 HP typically. Go with what sounds best to you. If you want agreat deep sound with minimal drone then the stingers are nce. The loudmouths are just that...loud and obnooxious almost. The FRPP GTAs are louder than stock but not like the stingers or loudmouths and they do not have any drone I have heard. Corsas are quieter at stock but very nice at WOT like the stingers, they do not haev any drone but at $600+

Addition of a catless h-pipe will be very deep and loud, Catless x-pipe is going to give you a raspy sound. Both of these with pick some HP up though.

There are several other options but these are common questions and setups.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:32 AM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chef

I know has been discussed alot but . . . Spring project is exhaust. I want more HP . whats the most I can get from exhaust? do the stock cats have to go? SLP LOUDMOUTH AXLEBACK looks nice for around $350? hows performance? I dont necessarily want a loud sound at low RPMs, will this blow away the teacher as i pick up the kids from school? I hear magnaflows are not so noisy at low RPM but add 11 or so HP? open to suggestions . . . .

I was just searching the net and found that you can get the loudmouth axle back for $289@http://www.lmperformance.com/5535/73.html and its free shipping
Old 02-25-2007, 01:33 AM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

thanks matt, if i go catless h or x pipe will the car pass inspection? in CT? i hear most modern cars will
Old 02-25-2007, 01:43 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I am not sure about that...techically no I dont think it will if they actually do the tests.Some places dont test for it though. I have also heard people just put the stock back on for inspection time. Its not a hard job so that is also an option.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

corsa claims a bump of 13hp w/ their set up... and zero drone... that was my issue w/ a Magnapack...... swaping to Corsa this week.... i am a bit dubious of the hp claim... from what i understand the stock mufflers are pretty good as far as flow
Old 02-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

stkjock . . . did u mean that the magnapack gave you drone? or no hp gain? or both? stang buff told me today no cats, no pass inspection, but he is a vintage owner who doesnt have to comply
Old 02-25-2007, 07:28 PM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

magnapack catback claims 11 hp gain, i doubt it, has anyone done a dyno? thats the real test
Old 02-26-2007, 02:02 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

The stock exhaust is all 2.5" Mandrel bending, and has a very smooth flow. Removing the cats yeilds some power, but alters the exhaust note to something that doesn't quite do it for me. Long tube headers with cat would be something I'd go with, but it's costly, and that's not including the installation if you choose to go that route. Axle backs vary in sound, they all sound different and frankly I've heard many setups. Members from the site, at the track, and so forth. My suggestion would be go to the track, see some 05+ GT's and see if you like any of the setups they have. Personally the only sound I've heard that was good was a 40 series Flowmaster (It would have to be custom done as tubing is required to be bent/tips welded on.) The plus side is the mufflers will run you $140, leaving the rest to a muffler shop. (Tubing and install should be around $100 give or take... Which is less then most axle backs. The result is a nice aggressive, deep tone... but it's not all that loud. I think the LT setup should increase the volume just the right amount.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Speedyejl
2nd Gear Member

SLPs have no drone. At partial throttle under 2500rpms no one will notice your car. At WOT, well... they might soil their pants.