Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Saleen SC , If you could get........

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 03:59 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default Saleen SC , If you could get........

Alright, I have an opportunity to get a Saleen Supercharger for an extremely good price,,,I mean extremely good. Now before Androdz comes on here and does his Turbo speech, I do not want a turbo...just a personal preference and that is all. I have no interest in racing or having enough boost to blast off....I just want a little more and the ability to simply get up to 400 rwhp and thats it....I am just going back and forth....is it worth it.....will I truly appreciate it....other than the kit the only other thing I intend on getting is(besides installed and custom dyno tuned) af gauge, boost gauge and fuel pump gauge I heard was reccommended....What do ya think...do i go for it....(again, I am not looking for turbo sales, or whipple, procharger etc....) it is simply I am in the chute..now do I pull the trigger...
Old 02-28-2007, 04:08 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen SC , If you could get........

Yahoooo......if you don't do it give me the referral on the cheap buy Everything I have read/heard about the Saleen SC is great.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:23 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Well bud, it's a good question you're posing, but one thatonly you can answer. It depends on what you mean by "worth it". From a purely financial point of view, you can acheive your stated goals with a Zex kit and have plenty left over from the Saleen cost+dyno tune, etc to get yourself a slew of other parts as well as take someone out for a nice dinner.

Now, that being said, how bad do you want (not need of course) the power? If you're gonna get a S/C anyway eventually b/c that's what you've made up your mind to do, then getting one "on sale" does make sense, pay now, or pay later.

Just for my info though, why are you only considering the Saleen unit? Forgetting about turbos for the moment, what is it you don't like about the whipple?(the closest competitor as far as price and design). Or the Brenspeed paxton package?(Cheaper than the Saleen w/upgrade and comes with a good tune and support)

The reason I ask is b/c I too am considering the above 3 units, just haven't decided on which yet.
If you don't mind, PM the deal on the Saleen you're getting, maybe that will help me decide also. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

Alright, I have an opportunity to get a Saleen Supercharger for an extremely good price,,,I mean extremely good. Now before Androdz comes on here and does his Turbo speech, I do not want a turbo...just a personal preference and that is all. I have no interest in racing or having enough boost to blast off....I just want a little more and the ability to simply get up to 400 rwhp and thats it....I am just going back and forth....is it worth it.....will I truly appreciate it....other than the kit the only other thing I intend on getting is(besides installed and custom dyno tuned) af gauge, boost gauge and fuel pump gauge I heard was reccommended....What do ya think...do i go for it....(again, I am not looking for turbo sales, or whipple, procharger etc....) it is simply I am in the chute..now do I pull the trigger...
I've been thinking about getting my 'Stang an SC for a good while now, and I've done some research across the various popular makers. From what I found, if you're a performance freak wanting to race and grind up as much power as possible, the Saleen is not for you. However, if you're like the rest of us who have a daily driver and want a broad band of power without the hassel of an orbital thrust system then the Saleen is perfect.

Read up on it at the Saleen site, they have a lot of good specs. It's a compact, well designed SC, that operates efficiently and looks good, too. If I remember right, it pumps 4-8psi, but at a lower revolution on the screws, so you get the same amount of boost without the excess heat, which is a bonus.

My opinion probably doesn't mean much, but if you got a good deal and the dough to drop on it, I'd say go for it!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:41 PM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

I beleive i know the deal you speak of and I personally have already jumped on it myself. I went with the saleen becasue it should be good enough to eventually get me to my 500 hp goal over time, the price was unbeatable, it looks great under the hood, Saleen is sexy to say, and if its good enough for the Saleen Extreme it's good enough for me. I will probably never go to the track, the occasional red light match up will occur and as long as im faster than 99% of the people on the road im happy.

Stop thinking and buy it. It's win-win. If the power is enough you win if it not then there is more to be squeezed out. I think it will come down to the price.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Get it! You won't regret it! I can't get enough of mine lol
Old 02-28-2007, 06:32 PM
flounderlipps
2nd Gear Member

I don't have the Saleen but if you can get a deal on one do it.
The Saleen blowers are running some awesome times @ the track
You will have no problem getting 400 whp.
So what are you waiting for?
Whip out that credit card and never look back!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:17 PM
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: POWERS

Stop thinking and buy it. It's win-win. If the power is enough you win if it not then there is more to be squeezed out. I think it will come down to the price.

Powers hit the nail on the head.Just do it.There are enough S197GT's s running around that are blown and not having any issues and making hugh amounts of HP and TQ on really low boost that It comes done to what one you can afford which style you like andwho can tune it the best for you.I happen to have went with the Saleen,Got a great price . Looked to be the easiest to install( which it was no issues at all) I went with 39 lb injectors,3.6 pulley and 95 mm MAF from wmsracing.Local SCT tuner (XXTuning) in CT.Dyno'd out 427 rwhp and 404 tq with A/F pretty much flat line at 11.6 up to 62000RPM's. This was a very conservative every day street type tune. But much more potential if I want to push it. I'm happy with the whole experience

[IMG]local://upfiles/15603/A94BCF165E0F414890377922E75F6EAD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I really like that air intake you have set up there with your S/C zoomerman!
Old 02-28-2007, 09:30 PM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wally39

I really like that air intake you have set up there with your S/C zoomerman!
I like that too, i know with the c&l intake from JDM you have to have new motor mounts, but can i reuse my Tunable INduction intake with the sc?

Quick Reply: Saleen SC , If you could get........