Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MAC Or JBA Axleback?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 10:20 AM
IrishChris79

Default MAC Or JBA Axleback?

Hey everyone,
This Is my first post. I didn't want to sign up until I had my
Mustang. Anyway, I have the Brenspeed C&L w/SCT II on
order right now. Next I would like an axleback from either
MAC or JBA. I heard both onvarious clips & both
sounded amazing! I.Y.H.O which do you think would be a
better choice...sound wise/quality wise, which has more
drone ect ect. I don't mind the drone, I only drive 5k/Yr B/C
of work. I did a search and only came up with a V6 comparo,
so If anyone could chime In that would be great. Thanks for reading~
Old 03-02-2007, 12:13 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: MAC Or JBA Axleback?

I got the MACs for two reasons, great sound and the 4" tips, really fill up the cut-outs in back, JBA look very similar but 3" tips. I posted a soundclip on mustangexhaust.com , it seems you can only see the link if you have signed up to their forum, kinda lame as before I signed up I could here all the other clips, I could alsoemail you the .mp3 if you like (only like 400k), I wanted to do a clip with stock H pipe but did not get around to it sothis was recorded after my LT and X pipe install, with the stock H pipe the sound was awesome but with the X pipe and LTs its freakin scary, as many have told me the "Bullitt" sound !! Just the right amount of rasp with a deep heavy idle, let me know if you want clip.

PS: One drawback to the MACs, either weld them on or get U clamps, the band clamps that come with them
suck big time !!!!!

Old 03-02-2007, 01:26 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

You can hear some sound clips on the Brenspeed site. You can also go to youtube and type in "Mustang Mac", or "Mustang exhaust", etc. You can hear lots of sound clips there. But don't judge them too harshly, because exhaust always sounds crappier recorded.

Most of what I heard though has a kind of "underwater" gurgle if you know what I mean. I don't hear it with the Flowmasters or JBAs though. I put a set of Loudmouths on my car temporarily when I did my lowering springs and I didn't like the sound at all. I liked that it was loud, but it sounded kind of sick to me.

So far I think I like the Flowmasters the best. but I'd like to hear them in person before I buy anything.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:35 PM
IrishChris79

Yeah, I'm really leaning towards the Mac's. I just didn't really know much about the JBA's, I would rather have the 4" Tips vs the 3's. I'm glad you like them. Should I stay with the stock H-Pipe, go with a Catted H, or a Catted X? NY Is super strict with emissions as are some other states. I'm looking for that Flowmaster on an 80's 5.0 kind of sound. I have to say...Nothing sounds as good as a Mustang with exhaust. All the way back to the 46'-49' Ford, nothing could compare with the sound. If anyone else has any suggestions on what I should do from exhaust to anything else,that would be great. Thanks alot
Old 03-02-2007, 01:46 PM
IrishChris79

Thanks Dave,
Brenspeed Is where I origanally heard the Mac. They have great clips! I'm going to check out youtube now. Thanks for the reply
Old 03-02-2007, 02:16 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

One good thing about AZ, other than 70 degree Feb. !! , is no vehicle inspections here (unless you bring a car when you move) and new cars have a 5 year grace period before emissions testing, I still got the catted X pipe, SLP does not make H pipe, overall I am happy, lost some ground clearance but not planning on lowering car so not an issue for me, I did get a check engine lightafter a few days, the DTC was for O2 sensor issue, apparently when you install long tube headers with O2 sensor extensions the computer believes there are no longer O2 sensors at all or they have failed, Brenspeed updated my tune to get rid of the check engine light, so all is good.

When I lived in CT years ago they still hooked up a device to your exhaust pipe for emissions testing, if all they do now is check your emissions DTCs then you should be ok if you have a tuner (SCT or Diablo) to read the DTCs and clear them, but you probably want to find someone on this forum from NY with long tubes and see what they have gone through.

Good luck

Old 03-02-2007, 03:03 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

mac's
Old 03-02-2007, 03:59 PM
lteix

Be carefull with the MAC's. They drone like crazy. Outside they sound great.....Inside it will make you crazy. I had to remove mine right away.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:58 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Chris,

I am no exhaust expert, but I'm sure there are plenty of guys on here who are. My understanding is that X pipes and H pipes essentially do the same thing by forcing the two sides of the exhaust to function as a unit as opposed to seperately. I hear that the X pipes are a little better, but I can't say for sure that that's true.

As far as cats go, any car will run better without them, being that they are really just a restrictive filter in your exhaust. The engine cannot breathe as well when the cats are on there choking it. Emissions is your biggest problemthough....they don't always do it but they sometimes put a mirror under the car to make sure you didn't remove them. I forget what the penalty is for removing them but I think it's pretty steep.

But nowadays they plug your car in and make sure you don't have any engine codes, and that's mostly all they do. So if you don't have a check engine light, you should be ok to pass emissions.

The BEST thing would be to hollow out the cats so that you appear to have them but they are non-functioning. This is illegal too though so beware.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:34 PM
IrishChris79

Thanks Dave I'll check Into that. I have a friend who does Inspections at his shop, I've known him since I was 15 so I'll talk to
him about that~we'll see.

*Well I went on to youtube.com and listened to various different
exhaust clips & I have to say Now I'm confused LOL... I heard and really liked MAC, JBA, FLOWMASTER 40 Series (I think) & BORLA. I really liked the couple of clips I heard of the Borla. Does anybody have these exhaust's? If yes, how do you like them? Thanks for the replies....I knew this was a great forum [sm=burnout.gif]

Quick Reply: MAC Or JBA Axleback?