Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Guess he had a bad motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:50 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default Guess he had a bad motor

My stepdad was getting a vortech and some LTs put on his car and the shop was tuning it today. I'm pretty tight with the guys at the shop and they called me up first and asked

them: "Was your stepdad planning on getting a built motor?"
me: "No"
them: "Well, he is now."

Sent a rod flying at only 400RWHP. Said it was running smooth, had the AF good and just did the last pull to double check everything and BOOM. Never seen or heard of that before. My 2v was running 410RWHP for a year with no problems.

He asked me for my stepdad's number and then he said "You can call him if you want." I said "Oh hell no. You're giving him the good news."

I guess he had a dud.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Guess he had a bad motor

That sucks. Happens every once in a while.

I wish my family were into cars like me. [8D]
Old 03-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Jefferson

Well at least it's a good excuse to go bigger.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:26 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

he was already agitated cause they had the car longer than they originally said they would. it's been snowing and icing out and their extra mechanic didn't show up those days. so it screwed all of their installs up.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Oh man.... I'm glad I am not the shop owner making THAT call!

Something had to be wrong with the engine to pop at 400hp - - I'm wondering if Ford will honor their warentee - - I'm betting Ford will try to get out of it by saying he was modifying the engine and the mods caused the failure.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:44 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

Oh man.... I'm glad I am not the shop owner making THAT call!

Something had to be wrong with the engine to pop at 400hp - - I'm wondering if Ford will honor their warentee - - I'm betting Ford will try to get out of it by saying he was modifying the engine and the mods caused the failure.
Adding 150hp is a modification, well 400 at the wheels = ###hp at the crank. Why would ford honor that?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:51 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ford won't honor it, but there was definitely something wrong with that engine to fail at 400RWHP. they have KB'd 05+ GTs rolling out of there putting down 450-470RWHP and not one threw a rod. i'm good buds with the guys at the shop, so i believe them when they say they didn't actually DO anything to make it go boom. it was the last dyno run after it was tuned just to double check. AF was good and all. oh well...
Old 03-06-2007, 08:58 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

ford won't honor it, but there was definitely something wrong with that engine to fail at 400RWHP. they have KB'd 05+ GTs rolling out of there putting down 450-470RWHP and not one threw a rod. i'm good buds with the guys at the shop, so i believe them when they say they didn't actually DO anything to make it go boom. it was the last dyno run after it was tuned just to double check. AF was good and all. oh well...
Well my point was that anyone who goes crying to ford because their engine came apart after adding 150hp is just crazy IMO. Any of those KB'd 05's could come apart at any moment. Your stepdad's just happened a bit sooner than expected. I'm waiting to add a supercharger until after I have another daily driver. I can't afford to be the 1 out of whatever that is unlucky.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:52 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

that sucks dude....I have given my car a few (very few-can't afford for anything to blow or break)hard times in the last 10 months since I have had my Vortech and it's just awesome everytime....my only question is, who honestly has to pay for that? Vortech, the shop or Ford?

Good luck with everything.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:07 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Sometimes you gotta pay if you want to play. Anyone who puts a power adder on any car needs to realize that this could happen, no matter how care full you are. Give your step-dad my condolences Nan-man

Quick Reply: Guess he had a bad motor