Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Body shop put 100 miles on my car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 01:29 PM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Body shop put 100 miles on my car!

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

When you leave a car at ANY repair facility, you allow them full access to anything in the trunk, glovebox or underhood. Don't be surprised if they drive it as well.
Understood. I expect them to do whatever is necessary to repair the car. That is their job and reason they are getting paid. However, just because they have a car in their possession does not make it their "toy" for a month. Test drive: fine. Joy rides: NOT fine.

YOU OWN A MUSTANG! It isn't a GT500, it isn't a Ford GT, it isn't a Terminator..... It is a $30000 car and should {will} be treated like other similar cars in its price range. I am not saying that it is a heap, but c'mon. It sure aint no Mercedes! If it is obvious that someone beat on it - you may have a point. Otherwise you are bitching about the fact that in the course of a 100% free repair, the guy who spent hours pounding, sanding, filling, shaping and painting drove 3/4 of a tank out of it.
So you're saying that people who own less expensive cars deserve to be treated with less respect? I disagree completely. Every customer should be treated with the same level of respect. I would be just as upset if it wasa '68 pickup that was used for "breaks and lunches" without my permission.

Also, it wasn't "100% free"; another person's insurance paid to have the car repaired. The fact that I didn't pay for itdoesn't give them any more right to use my property outside of what was needed to repair the car.

So what happens when my clutch goes out or my driveline breaks because some kid washot roddingit around the parking lot after hours? Who pays for that?

I am sure it is peanuts compared to some of the times you have driven it. Granted, he must not have been lightly driving it if he burnt up 3/4 tank in 100 miles
It's my car; I can drive it any way I want. It's not their car; I entrusted it to them so that it could be repaired, "trust" being the operative word. I "trusted" that they would act in a professional manner.

.......but I would not let this get me too angyy.

Nothing a six pack can't handle....[&:]
I'm not TOO angry and I will get over it, with or without the six pack.

However, I also don'tthinkthis is a professional way to handle a customer's property, even if it's not a Mercedes. They need to have the proper controls in place to ensure that the property oftheir customersis not abused.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:58 PM
PDXStangDude
1st Gear Member

Hey gidyup,

Living in the Portland metro area as well I have been warned off by my mechanic to never use Leif's! He told me to many of his clients complained about there customer services, dealing with the insurance companies, and so on. I guess you have to chalk this one up as a lesson learned about Leif's and any shop you take your car to.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:18 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

hell i wasnt happy they put 7 miles on mine after balancing and rotating the tires and cutting the rotors. if you think about it, it should have only taken them like 1-2 miles to go up and down the road and see if it was shakey. i know an extra 5 miles is no big deal, but its the fact that you KNOW they were beatin the crap out of the car because its a mustang.

if some shop put 100+ miles on my car (especially one of my stangs) i believe i would truely come unglued on those bastards.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:23 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

I love the idea of setting your rev limiter to 3000 with your tuner, one more tip is to leave a postit on the dash that says so, then the thrill is gone but they can still test drive.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:24 PM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PDXStangDude

Hey gidyup,

Living in the Portland metro area as well I have been warned off by my mechanic to never use Leif's! He told me to many of his clients complained about there customer services, dealing with the insurance companies, and so on. I guess you have to chalk this one up as a lesson learned about Leif's and any shop you take your car to.
Yeah, I probably should have checked around a little more before going with them but my g/f used them twice and never had a problem. Maybeshe received differenttreatment because she's a hot redhead and her car is a Pathfinder
Old 03-08-2007, 02:45 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

dude you drive a mustang they made 180,000 of them there nothing special, we all know for damn sure that had something wasnt fixed it would be "f*cking idiots cant fix a car etc etc" how do you know there was no driveline damage? my buddy was hit in the same spot and ever so slightly tweeked the rear end, we couldnt feel it, and it wasnt there in the estimate, hidden damage can be a bitch, also, how do you know that it wasnt just sitting there idleing? did you reset the trip before it got to the shop?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I don't get it...

Don't they write down the mileage when you drop the car off? Didn't they give you a repair estimate? I would think that would be done everywhere!
Also without knowing the mileage you're assuming they drove it!
Is it possible that maybe someone just siphoned out some gas?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:21 PM
lindseyquads
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: owero01

Some of you guys have to be kidding. There is no way I put my car in for repairs and when the work is done, someone decides that he/she want to joyride and do burnouts with my car. The car is there for repairs, not to serve as someone else's transportation to lunch or otherwise. I'm sure they have cars of their own. 3/4 of a tank of gas is a lot of quick launching and high speed driving. That is a lot of wear on the engine for body repair.
+1.....I totally agree they need to respect people's property no matter if it's a $500 car or a $50,000 car still isn't right.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gidyup

YOU OWN A MUSTANG! It isn't a GT500, it isn't a Ford GT, it isn't a Terminator..... It is a $30000 car and should {will} be treated like other similar cars in its price range. I am not saying that it is a heap, but c'mon. It sure aint no Mercedes! If it is obvious that someone beat on it - you may have a point. Otherwise you are bitching about the fact that in the course of a 100% free repair, the guy who spent hours pounding, sanding, filling, shaping and painting drove 3/4 of a tank out of it.
So you're saying that people who own less expensive cars deserve to be treated with less respect? I disagree completely. Every customer should be treated with the same level of respect. I would be just as upset if it wasa '68 pickup that was used for "breaks and lunches" without my permission.
Gidyup is absolutely correct. My car, no matter it's value, is just as important to me as somebody else's Mercedes is to them (probably more so, in fact). If I wanted people taking it for joy rides, I'd park it at a 7-11 with the keys in the ignition. Of course you could probably never prove your case, but it seems to me that I've heard somewhere that unauthorized use of a motor vehicle is against the law........

Old 03-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

It wouldn't matter if your car was a falling-apart rust pile with 300,000 miles on it, or a $500k Phantom! It's the car of a customer and that demands an amount of respect. 100 miles is an excessive amount to put on a car while in the shop, and I'd be demanding an explanation. Especially since you went in for body work, which doesn't require any test-drive. The milage should have been 1 mile tops!

I hope you have somewhere else to go next time, 'cause I know I would be searching elsewhere. [:@]

Quick Reply: Body shop put 100 miles on my car!