Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Body shop put 100 miles on my car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:30 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Body shop put 100 miles on my car!

I have to disagree with the 'get over it' crowd.

You have no idea what they did to your car in those 100 miles but I bet they didn't drive it responsibly.

What they did do was use your property without your permission, perhaps damaged your property, certainly lowered the value of your property (by 100 miles if nothing else), and put that property at unneccessary risk.

You've got every right to be pissed. You also have grounds for a civil action (suit for damages) against the participants, their supervisors, the shop owner, and their insurance company as well as a possible criminal complaint. You can also pursue action through a state regulatory/licensing board, professional certifcation associations (assuming they belong to any), the BBB, and your local television station (always looking for good stories).

I'd do a lot more than just complain to the manager and get 10% off your next visit. Don't let these jackasses off the hook.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:02 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

It doesn't matter what it is, it still comes down to respecting another's property. I would suggest being fairly polite at first in your complaint. Then stepping it up if they don't do or say something to satisfy you. If you're still pissed, get you a sign and stand out front of their shop all day letting everyone know what bastards they are for as long as you can.Be sure to get louder so that other customers can hear what the problems are.

I had a shop with the audacity to say "what are you going to do about it" when they screwed up fixing a vehicle and didn't want to do it right. I let them know that I work 14 days on with 14 days off and would be happy to sit in front of their shop for the whole 14 days I was off and let everyone know what their service was like. They fixed it right and I stood there and watched them the whole time just to make sure.

It may just be my attitude, but I'd give them Hell. OK, 100 miles and 3/4 tank ain't much but how much ain't the point. It's lack of respect.

"Respect my authoritah!"
Old 03-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 22kart22
I am going to get one of those pins that the NHRA uses before a burnout to prevent over-revving an engine.
I'm not singling you out when I say this, but why are there all these posts about people who are going to mod their cars to prevent abuse at the shop? It's a mechanic shop....doesn't anyone think these guys can figure out if there's a rev-limiter tune in place, or a pin? They have a diagnostic computer, and I'm pretty sure if they got in it and the car didn't move, they'd know something was up. Remember, they're asinine enough to joyride in a customer's car, so their probably not gonna have any qualms about altering your idle, either.

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch
However, go to a Ford dealer and then go to a Mercedes, Porsche, BMW dealer and see the difference in the quality of service and proffessionalism...
No offense to you, but fk that. I wouldn't care if it was a freaking bicycle! You don't have to own a mercedes to deserve the right to have good service! Nor do you have to buy a mercedes to ensure you get good service. Those bastards did something they shouldn't have, and at the least they deserve to lose his business. Besides, I've had some pretty crappy service from the so-called "high end" car dealers, too. Mercedes car doesn't consistently translate to mercedes-service.

ORIGINAL: 2007GT/CS
You have no idea what they did to your car in those 100 miles but I bet they didn't drive it responsibly.
Right, and besides, the car went in for body work. There's no "test drive" excuse for that. If you had gone in with some kind of engine or transmission problem, then I'd say 100 miles of test is excessive still, but more justified because you know they HAD to drive it to figure out the problem.

Send them a bill for the gas! lol

BTW, there is always the possibility that they had to take the car to another associated shop to do the body-work. When my last car needed some body work, I took it to my usual mech and they said it would have to go to an affiliated shop that handles all their body-work requests. Same thing could have happened here, but they definately should have said something about it.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Drivesthebeast
2nd Gear Member

Every time I take my car in anywhere, I reset the trip computer, and I write down and date and sign the mileage on a sticky note that I keep. The last time the car was at a Ford dealership, they only put like 2km's on my car (they did the parking brake TSB).

I don't care if it's not a Benz, BMW, Lexus, whatever. It's still a $40,000 (Cdn) fricken car. It's usually nicer than the cars owned by the people that work at the dealership or shop itself. To a lot of people that drive older cars, or economy cars, the Mustang GT or higher models IS a "Gucci" car to them...

100miles is bunk man...get some incentives/freebies out of the shop that did the work...just work on getting more proof before trying to do so. I think that the $36.00 receipt/transaction record for the Gas you bought on the day it went in was/is a good start....$36 buys you a helluva lot more fuel than 1/4 tank...