Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Body shop put 100 miles on my car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:48 AM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

Default Body shop put 100 miles on my car!

So I got my car back today after a month in the body shop.A neighbor backed into her while she was parked on the street in front of my house, denting the rear quarter panel. Her insurance paid for everything including a rental car so all was good in that respect. Also, the repairs look great.

However, when I picked her up I noticed the gas gauge was at 1/4 tank. I thought for sure I had filled it up right before the accident so I went back to my bank statements and sure enough, there is a $36 charge at Shell on the day of the accident.

So I'm fine with them test driving the car before returning it...but why does it take >1/2 a tank of gas to test drive a car? I called them back as soon as I had checked the records but it was after normal office hours so the person I spoke with said to call back in the a.m. so they could check their records, whatever that means.

I'm guessing I don't have a lot of legal recourse since I didn't take a picture of the mileage when I left it, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions...other than never using that shop again and posting lots of complaints wherever I can find a place to submit reviews, that is.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:55 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Body shop put 100 miles on my car!

I just HATE stuff like that!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:07 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Was it purely body work, or suspension etc. I mean they might have taken it out several times heard some noises or whatever then tried to fix them and such. 100+ miles does seem like a little bit much though.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

Maybe some ******* who works there siphoned out 4 or 5 gallons for his personal use. Most customers would probably never notice the discrepancy.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:14 AM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

Just the rear quarter panel and refinishing the door; suspension was fine and no structural damage.

I'm fine with moving her around the shop and a 10 - 20 mile test drive but yeah, >100 miles...that sounds like a joy ride to me.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:19 AM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lees07GT

Maybe some ******* who works there siphoned out 4 or 5 gallons for his personal use. Most customers would probably never notice the discrepancy.
Trip computer is at 157 miles. I may have forgotten to reset it after filling up, but since buying the car I have always hit reset so I can monitor the gas mileage.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:22 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Its the unwritten rule of nondealer body shops .... Your car was used for "break and lunch"
Old 03-08-2007, 01:31 AM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

Images of Ferris Bueller's Day Off....

It PO's me but the car is running fine, I checked her over head-to-toe and everything seems good...just peeves me when someone abuses another person's property.

Maybe I can complain my way into a free detailing and a tank of gas.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:39 AM
MustangEsq
2nd Gear Member

I ALWAYS remember my mileage whenever I drop off my ride...no matter what shop.

I once had to bring in my camaro...57 miles were put on the clock and the T-tops were unlocked (I ALWAYS locked them). I dont care what the heck they are doing to the car...you dont need 57miles!! I confronted the manager, and he was very apologetic...gave me a free oil service (which I waited for).

Also, if I ever take my car in for an oil change ( I usually do it myself) I put my initials on the filter. After the lube, I always take a quick look under...If I seemy initialsonthe filter, I know it wasnt changed.

I once had a manager insist that they changed the oil...I looked under the car, saw my usual orange Fram filter with my initials. I asked the manager what brand of filters they used...he said Purolater. I asked "well....why is there a Fram filter on?" He says..."Oh no...we dont use Fram at all. You must be mistaken." That makes me mad now, as any imbecile knows what a Fram filter looks like! I asked the manager to look under the car...and he sees the Fram. He has the ***** to say...Oh, we must have had that lying around. Then I question him about my initials which were on the filter. I then said that if he didnt change the oil right now, I was calling the police.

I then watched them change the oil...Purolater filter and all.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:07 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

I hate to say it; but some body had some fun. no reason for 100 miles! i would go find out who work on your car; i would be SO PISSED. I remeber when i dropped off my 3kgt at a body shop. And that nite; a black 3kgt passed me and my mom doing well over 100. Just so happen we were 5 miles away from the shop. I stop by to find it still there...nice

but no way; 100 miles= JOY RIDE

Quick Reply: Body shop put 100 miles on my car!