Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Can't believe it. I actually bought a Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 11:51 PM
cerino2000
1st Gear Member

Default Can't believe it. I actually bought a Mustang

My vette brothers may never understand but I went to a Ford dealer today to test drive a GTO that they had. Something wasn't right about the car. In particular, I noticed that the steering wheel was off a bit which told me that someone had half-assed an alignment. Went back to dealer and carfaxed the car and sure as heck, it had been wrecked and they didn't know it. So, I said "well, we're done". As I was leaving, the sales guy said "anything else I can interest you in?" to which I said, "Only if you had a decent blk/blk 5-spd Mustang". He said he thought he had one and lo-and-behold he did. 2006 model with 14k on the clock. It's now sitting in my man room. If you would have bet me a million dollars yesterday that I would be driving a Ford the next day, i would have took you up on the bet. But, here I sit and i gotta tell ya. I kinda like it.

I have owned 51 (now 52) cars in 22 years of driving and only 1 of them was a Ford. It was Ford Granada many, many years ago. It's not the fastest car I have owned but this is actually a pretty damn nice car. I'm impressed! Drives beautifully and is pretty fund to drive as well.

So, what are the first mods you do on these things? This is all new to me and that was exactly what I was looking for. I wanted something different and I sure got it!

Need more power! Where's the best place to look. It's a GT with Premium interior. Seems to me that Fords respond really well to simple mods so where do you guys think I should start?

Old 03-10-2007, 12:12 AM
iamspartacus

Default RE: Can't believe it. I actually bought a Mustang

congratulations on the purchase! the first thing you'll want to do is get a cold air intake/custom tune combination. check out brenspeed, b a m a chips, or evolution performance for a cold air intake/tune combo. the links are below.
http://www.bamachips.com
http://www.evoperform.com
http://www.brenspeed.com
the power gains from a custom tune and cai are prodigious. choose any of those sites for a great tune, they're all equally good, and get the c&l intake. you should probably take care of that step first before moving onto anything else. it's the easiest with the best gains. i'd probably invest in a axle-back or cat-back exhaust next, they don't really improve performance, but they sound it!
Old 03-10-2007, 12:14 AM
iamspartacus

forgot about the automatic editing on that first link.
http://b a m a chips.com, just delete the spaces in between.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:17 AM
gloryboy
2nd Gear Member

Congratulations!!! Always nice to add a new member to the club, especially one that was going to buy a chevy.......[sm=icon_cheers.gif].. Definately a cold air intake and a tuner is the way to start, we'll talk supercharger next week..............[sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 03-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Cold air intake/Tuner JLTor C&L for the CAI, and Evolution, Brenspeed, VMP, or B Am A chips for good mail-orderstreet tunes.
4.10 gears/ FRPP M-4206-G410A, make sure its A and not M at the end)
Axle back exhaust of your preference, none make any real hp so its all sound preference.

IMHO I think its a good way to start off
Old 03-10-2007, 12:28 AM
cerino2000
1st Gear Member

How many different types of CAI exist in Mustang land? Is there one that is preferred?Gotta remember, I am totally green in the Ford world.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:37 AM
RedNyt GT
2nd Gear Member

The C&L brand seems to be a top choice.... its also what I use.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:42 AM
iamspartacus

definitely get the C&L Racer Intake. personally, i think it looks the best, plus it has a very good reputation.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:00 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Nothing wrong with JLT just not as pretty as the C&L but its easily 100 bucks cheaper on average. Actually in a dyno comp the JLT made more power than all the rest, but it was only 2-5 hp, no big deal.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:50 AM
kingsmate20
1st Gear Member

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. If you tell us what you're looking for on you baby, we'll find it. If cash isn't an issue, take steps to super or turbo. If you're looking for best bang for the buck, CAI and tune, then exhaust....Move on from there. What are you looking for?

Quick Reply: Can't believe it. I actually bought a Mustang