Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

04 SVT Cobra vs 06 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 06:10 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 04 SVT Cobra vs 06 Mustang GT

I'm sure this is gonna be a biased question where ever you post this at. But here is my experience that I can go on...

I started out with a stock 04 GT. It was a nice upgrade from my 00 Ranger. 220 rwhp isn't too bad for someone who really had never rode in a good pony or muscle car. But when it came time to when I was ready to start modding it, the better a Cobra started to sound to me. I even went out and test drove an 05 silver coupe but it just wasnt for me. I actually like the close feeling that the 99-04 interior has but thats just me. The 05+ was just a lil big for me.

Now that I found an 04 cobra, I couldn't be happier. It was deffinetly the right decision for me. And its still my daily driver... no problems at all about that. So don't let anyone think that you cant have a terminator for a DD cuz thats not a problem. 463 rwhp on mine and still going.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:21 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

Cobra=power, power, power, power,power, andmore power
S197=solid chassis, ease of modification, drive all day comfort(turnoff to some), great perfomance value, low cost of ownership.

They both are great cars and I wouldn't hesitate at allto buy a cobra. I do find it flattering that we are consistantly compared to Mach 1s and cobras on a reg basis as opposed to just the last GT.

Ease of modification? You're given that to the s197? $1500 for the cobra and you're putting almost double the power to the wheels as the s197.

Go with the cobra, the only thing it has on the cobra is the interior. The s197, but doesnt feel like a sports car, it feels like driving a bigger bulkier car; which the exterior shows as well. I test drove one about a month ago because my cars getting to the point where it's not a good DD and looking to buy something else this spring/summer; I personally think that a fairly stock cobra can be just as good as a DD as a s197.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:29 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

so for 1,500 bucks u can raise the car from 390 hp to almost 600 ?

Old 03-12-2007, 07:39 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

S197=solid chassis, ease of modification, drive all day comfort(turnoff to some), great perfomance value, low cost of ownership.

They both are great cars and I wouldn't hesitate at allto buy a cobra. I do find it flattering that we are consistantly compared to Mach 1s and cobras on a reg basis as opposed to just the last GT.

Ease of modification? You're given that to the s197? $1500 for the cobra and you're putting almost double the power to the wheels as the s197.

Go with the cobra, the only thing it has on the cobra is the interior. The s197, but doesnt feel like a sports car, it feels like driving a bigger bulkier car; which the exterior shows as well. I test drove one about a month ago because my cars getting to the point where it's not a good DD and looking to buy something else this spring/summer; I personally think that a fairly stock cobra can be just as good as a DD as a s197.
Doesn't feel like a sports car compared to what? It drives 100X better than my friends SN95.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:59 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MexGT

so for 1,500 bucks u can raise the car from 390 hp to almost 600 ?

$1500, you can be around 460rwhp compared to about 260ish rwhp give or take. So 200more, not quite double.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:59 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sw07gt

Doesn't feel like a sports car compared to what? It drives 100X better than my friends SN95.

It does drive better (as in smoothness), however it feels like i'm driving a bigger 4 door car.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:41 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

so 29K dlls + 1,500 - 2k dlls will be 31K dlls total... since this guy already has a 06 GT its still cheaper to get to 460 rwhp in the gt he has now.
Plus being in a 2 years newer car, new body style, etc
Old 03-12-2007, 10:35 PM
buddha211
2nd Gear Member

Better chassis (by far) better suspension potential, warranty, better body style IMO, nicer interior....

These are all the things that pushed me towards my 05 Mustang GT. Of course, some people say I'm an idiot for wanting a 'sports car' and getting a GT, but I feel like the chassis is up to the job of what I want my suspension to be able to do (Autocross). Then again half the things I listed up there are purely opinion and I suspect the Cobra will have an edge over the stock 05 in handling.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

When I say ease of modification I mean iseven though I'venever worked on a cars I was able to do all my suspension mods and after seeing underneath a SN-95 I would def say the S197 is easier. As far as power(cobra virtue) yes, it doesn't take much to 500rwhp.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:46 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: buddha211

Better chassis (by far) better suspension potential, warranty, better body style IMO, nicer interior....

These are all the things that pushed me towards my 05 Mustang GT. Of course, some people say I'm an idiot for wanting a 'sports car' and getting a GT, but I feel like the chassis is up to the job of what I want my suspension to be able to do (Autocross). Then again half the things I listed up there are purely opinion and I suspect the Cobra will have an edge over the stock 05 in handling.

The cobra has a big handlingadvantage due to IRS.

Quick Reply: 04 SVT Cobra vs 06 Mustang GT