Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Want to start modding - NOW WHAT??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:06 PM
matts250x

Default RE: Want to start modding - NOW WHAT??

I think about #3 on that list should be a hurst shifter, With all that power your going to want to shift faster and have that classic look, my 2 cents
Old 03-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: matts250x

I think about #3 on that list should be a hurst shifter, With all that power your going to want to shift faster and have that classic look, my 2 cents
+ 1 on the Hurst.......I absolutely love mine!! My opinion as well.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:17 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

If you go with ANY short throw....go ahead and put a shift light in
The best bang for my buck thus far
raptorperformance.com

ORIGINAL: Goody625

+ 1 on the Hurst.......I absolutely love mine!! My opinion as well.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:28 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: sw07gt

Would a suspension kit like this be worth it or should I go with BMR? http://www.steeda.com/products/05-06...on_stage-3.php
Well I can tell you from first hand experience about most of those products. First of all the S197 does not need subframe or any kind of other box frame connectors. At a certain point, maybe so and the BMR would be better suited but for just about everyone on this site - no. The other factor with the steeda subframe torque box deal is it is useless unless you weld it in and then be ready fro squeeks and rattles you weren't expecting.

Steeda makes inferior suspension components plain and simple and anyone who has done any serious modding will agree with me. BMR, CHE, and some others are a much wiser investment IMO.

The steeda CA's are a joke no doubt about it. Myself and several others have broken the crappy eurethane bushings in them several times. I broke 3 sets on the stock motor. They kept offerring to replace them until I finally gave up and went correct with Metco. Now the Metco may be overkill for most so I would recommend the BMR in a heartbeat. If you are serious into drag, then the Metco are tried and proven reliable. The BMR are no slouch either and I would recommend their adjustbale upper and lower over anything else for an all around great performance mod.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:31 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

So BMR it is. What parts would I need to improve handling as much as possible for around 1200-1300?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:42 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

LOL - Okay, I specifically didn't mention shifters cause I know how many of you 'Hurst boys' are on this site...

Now don't take it personal, but it is a FACT, the hurst is a waste of money. Sorry, but true.

I have been telling people about shifters for almost 2 years and my opinion comes from having the Hurst, Tri-Ax, and Pro 5.0 in my car and using and installing all 3. Here is the facts...

The hurst shifter is identical to stock. The only factor you get with the hurst shifter is a shorter throw. Nothing else. If you lay one next to a stock shifter - they are identical and neither give you any stop bolt adjustment for any 'real' performance. I am the first to admit the looks of the hurst are hands down the best if that's what you're into you can simply buy the Saleen adapter for the shirter throw and the hurst stick and ball to go with and you have the exact same look and performance gains for less than half the price. That is the way to go if you are into the cool retro looks of the Hurst.

The Tri-ax and Pro 5.0 are identical in construction and when you put them next to the stocker, you see the difference in construction instantly. The have adjustable stop bolts to dial in your shifts and coupled with a brace and engine torque limiters from CHE, it is almost impossible to miss a shift. Now many guys claim to not miss a shift with the hurst but that's because most of them are playing around on the street and not really powershifting them. If you like to powerhsift like there's no tomorrow, the hurst will have you sticking the 1-2 and 2-3 almost every pass at the track.

Now the only downside to the tri-ax and pro 5.0 is 1st and reverse are a little sticky. It's that way for everyone that has them but I'll tell you now, having 1st, 5th, and reverse a little sticky is a small price to pay for the butter 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts they give in powerhshifting. These shifters hold up plain and simple and will take a beating.

I can say with 99% positivity that anyone running hard at the track with a manual has either replaced the hurst or not used it at all.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:48 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

The oem shifter isnt made with the best quality
Old 03-12-2007, 10:57 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: sw07gt

So BMR it is. What parts would I need to improve handling as much as possible for around 1200-1300?
I'd start out with the CA package for $570ish

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/05Mustang/CAP003.jpg

Then I'd go for the tubular adjustable panhard for about $130

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/05Must...Rods-Large.jpg

I'd get their rear swaybar for $199.00

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/05Mustang/SB022-023.jpg

Lastly I'd get a set of good springs for the front and rear (I like Eibach) and that puts you in your $ range and would be a nice start up on your suspension and will do you nicely for a wide range of power levels.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:00 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

How much did your custom turbo run you?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:04 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

The oem shifter isnt made with the best quality
And the Hurst is identical...lol

Now the 'Hurst Pro' was supposed to be similiar in construction to the 5.0 and tri-ax. The pics I saw od it looked identical to the tri-ax and it was supposed to be equal but with a shorter throw to be better. The problem is Hurst has been promising this shifter for 18 months now and still hasn't delivered. I suspect it may contain the same patent problems pro 5.0 encountered with Steeda.

Quick Reply: Want to start modding - NOW WHAT??