Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

LT's HELP ME NOW, PLEASE!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 07:28 PM
GOATKILLER
2nd Gear Member

Default LT's HELP ME NOW, PLEASE!!!!!!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I WANT LONGTUBE HEADERS BUT I CANT GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER!!!

1.ARE LONGTUBE HEADERS WITH CATS EMISSIONS LEGAL?????????????
PEOPLE KEEP TELLING ME DIFFERENT STORIES!

2. IF YOU PUT LONGTUBES ON YOUR MUSTANG W HIGH FLOW CATS, DO YOU GET A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT? AND IF SO HOW DO YOU GET RID OF IT???????????????

3.HELP ME PLEASE, HELP ME PLEASE, HELP ME PLEEEEASSSEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 07:35 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: LT's HELP ME NOW, PLEASE!!!!!!

1) In the USA, NO. Longtube headers are NOT emissions legal. Why? Federal emssions laws prohibit changing or moving the OEM cats. Becasue longtubes replace them, or require moving them even if you tried a custom-fab job to keep the stock cats, they are NOT legal.

Now then, that's according to the law. PRACTICALLY SPEAKING you will be OK so long as you run cats. Nobody cares so long as you actually have cats, (unless you get unlucky and get the inspector on a bad day).

2) No, you do not get a CEL with high-flow cats. You only get the engine light if you have NO CATS....and in that case it can be fixed with a tune or O2 sensor simulators.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:37 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

if you live in a state (most of them) that requires them, then yes it is illegal to not have them. when you get long tubes you NEED to get a tune with it as well. this will retune the engine and then you will not get a check engine light
Old 03-12-2007, 07:38 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

1. I think it depends on where you live. Many states dont have emissions testing and some do. I would think with hi-flow cats you should pass any test though.

2. You can turn off the rear sensors with a tuner. Again with cats this might not be a problem.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:53 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: likemike99
if you live in a state (most of them) that requires them, then yes it is illegal to not have them. when you get long tubes you NEED to get a tune with it as well. this will retune the engine and then you will not get a check engine light
Not true. Longtubes generally do not need a tune. I checked my A/F with a wideband meter after installing mine and they did NOT need a tune. You will hear the same thing from all the expert tuners. Call Brent (brenspeed) or Fred (evo) andthey will tell you the exact same thing. Please stop continuing the myth that longtubes need a tune!!.

Also, note that the emissions law regarding the cats is FEDERALand applies to EVERY STATE. Thus, it doesn't matter what state you live in, if you tamper with the OEM cats it is ILLEGAL. Now, I agree completely that if your locality doesn't have inspections or emissions testing then you can get away with it very easily...but it is still technically illegal.

If you want to check for yourself, go ahead: Section 203 of the US Clean Air Act, 42 US Code, Section 7522
Old 03-12-2007, 08:07 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Al-

Actually my LTs with O/R X required Tuning.. The A/F was off after I put the LTs on with the O/R X pipe..

And unless you are in a state like Cali that does Carb number checks a LT with Cats will pass the sniffer and most only do ODBII scans so you should be just fine..
Old 03-12-2007, 08:35 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vsop

Al-
Actually my LTs with O/R X required Tuning.. The A/F was off after I put the LTs on with the O/R X pipe..

And unless you are in a state like Cali that does Carb number checks a LT with Cats will pass the sniffer and most only do ODBII scans so you should be just fine..
Yeah, an O/R setup is a little different sometimes.

As for the law, I think we are in agreement. Most areas don't do sniffer tests...and even if they do you will pass ifyou have high-flows on there. But TECHNICALLY it is still illegal under the Clean Air Act, even though your chance of getting caught is Nil.