Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shelby GT - MPG After Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Shelby GT - Gas Guzzler Tax -

How did the photos of my girlfriend get out?
Old 05-04-2007, 04:14 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nick_svs

If I'm not mistaken, the Shelby (4.6 L) has a different exhaust than the standard GT. I would guess that this exhaust releases more emissions, so would justify the gas guzzler tax. As I understand it, it's essentially an emissions tax.

But, I could be talking out of my ***. That's just what made sense to me.
No offense man, but like you said, your talking out of your ***. The only piece of exhaust that has any effect on emissions is the Cat, and those are not changed on a Shelby GT. Only the axleback is different, which is only a muffler.

As for the difference in mileage... there is none. Do a google search on Mustang Gas mileage update. You'll find that they re-rated all of the stangs (not sure why)and the GT's are 16/23 now, and I think the V6's are like 19/26 (but don't quote me on the 6'ers number).

ORIGINAL:KeeJoZ
The sales guy at the dealer told me the following:
The sticker mileage is based on an average of people. The mustangs can be much more efficient than listed on the sticker. But, because of the attitude of people (like those who did the upgrade to the Shelby package) it's possible that those 10 people who did the upgrade all felt like having a GT500. So, they were pushing it more. That's how he explained the mileage difference. Nothing technical, just the way people behave. It's the same with the CAI. If you have your CAI installed and you drive at ease, the car WILL get better mileage. But if you enjoy it more (like all of us), then you'll get worse mileage. Basically it's an average of the people who have the options.
This dealer lied his *** off when he told ya this. Gas mileage ratings have a very specific way to be tested for. If it was just an "Average" of the way people drive, what would stop a company from taking their car to the top of a long hill, coasting down it and rating their car at 999 miles per gallon? Plus, how would a brand new model have an MPG rating? If he was trying to explain why some people get mileage different from what is on the sticker, his explaination is correct...
Old 05-04-2007, 05:41 PM
KeeJoZ
1st Gear Member

@GT Bob,

Thanks, I'm not from around.... That's why I listen to everybody and everything. My logic left me when I entered this country. I'm not kiddin', I heard the craziest stuff here!

Anyway, if you buy a mustang, you should look at the mpg... these things don't go hand in hand...
I know a nice Hyundai though!!! great mpg
Old 05-04-2007, 06:00 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

Billet *****?

ORIGINAL: Retrorocket

Are those stock headlites? Looks like the high beams are on also....

[/quote]
Old 05-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

It has a cold air intake, ford racing mufflers (same ones on GT500), hurst shifter and the 3.55 Gears.