Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

saleen s/c installation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 04:55 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Default saleen s/c installation?

Ive seen numurious posts saying its pretty easy and straightforward just takes a little time. I am just curious, i have some knowledge about an engine and i know what each part is... if i follow the instructions with the kit that come with it; i believe also have pictures. Can i install this with a buddy just by following the steps/pictures/instructions? i dont want to screw something up but i would also like to avoid an extra 1500 dollar bill.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:03 AM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: saleen s/c installation?

I installed mine by myself. I got a hand to drop the SC assembly on the engine, though. It's pretty straight foward and the instructions are very thorough. Hopefully you won't run into broken and bent up parts like I did, that turned a one day project into a 2 week headache. The only deviation I suggest is when you mount the SC coolant reservoir. One of the mount points is where the battery ground used to go. Saleen tells you to put the ground ring terminal under the reservoir bracket and bolt the reservoir down. The terminal ring sits beween the paint and the plastic reservoir. As we know, neither paint nor plastic are conductive, so this is a bad idea. Mount the ring terminal on top of the reservoir bracket, that way the bolt head makes contact with the terminal ring and grounds it to the body. The ring terminal has a prong that positions it on the strut tower. You will either need to cut that prong off or notch the reservoir bracket for it.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:04 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I had a shop install mine....but that is mostly because I was too paranoid about working on a relatively brand new car. I've heard of many ppl doing the install themselves with no problems. The instructions are really well done and you should have no problems as long as you take your time and follow the directions. Having help will just make it that much easier on you.

If you want to do more homework first.........definitely start here:

http://www. modular fords. com/forums/2005-mustang/s-c-installs-list-45232.html
(remove the spaces between modular and fords and com.....this site is censored from Mustang Forums.)
Old 03-16-2007, 05:28 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

thanks for the quick reply, if i went with the stock s/c and 4 psi i wouldnt need new spark plugs, injectors and 90mm lighting maf right away would i? only if i up the psi?

edit: also with your saleen would you recommend a new fuel pump? or does it run fine as is?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:42 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I went with the bigger injectors, CAI, and 90mm MAF because I wanted the most out of the 4psi boost setup. Consider that the old Saleen stock setup only made 400bhp on 4psi...........and I currently make 460bhp on 4psi.......u can see why I went for the extra investment. And I did eventually put the HT0 plugs in.........but I ran the kit on my car for nearly 6 months without them and had zero issues.

On 4psi, you won't need a fuel pump upgrade. You shouldn't have to start looking at a pump upgrade until you pulley down to 10psi. Most of the 8 psi Saleen guys I know haven't upgraded yet and haven't had any fuel problems. But if you run it hard at the track alot, might be a good idea to either upgrade the pump.......or you could just lower your rev limiter a bit as a precaution.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:49 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

cool thanks i believe i will go with what you said. Where did you purchase your 90mm maf? does the harness come with it or is that seperate purchase?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:59 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I made it easier on myself and got the CAI, 90mm maf converter (plus harness), injectors, and SCT2 with tunes from JDM engineering as part of their package deal. You might be able to put all that together cheaper if you shop around yourself........not sure. You should be able to get the 90mm harness wherever you get the converter from. They may even be sold together as a kit........I'm just not 100% sure. But you should be able to ask Ford as it is essentially the same MAF setup off of an SVT Lightning.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:01 AM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

I bought my harness from the Ford dealer and just soldered it into the stock wiring.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:41 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

When you start changing the injectors, MAF and intake, you're definitely going to need a tune. I would get the kit from JDM Engineering. You will be able to install it just fine if you are good about reading and following directions. I am by no means a mechanic and got through my install with no hick-ups at all. The directions are very goodwith good pictures.Plan on taking your time and have another vehicle to drive while this one is down. Sure there are going to be lots of chest thumpers that will tell how they did the install in 6hrs but be realistic and plan on the car being down for a few days. -Joe
Old 03-16-2007, 01:31 PM
gloryboy
2nd Gear Member

I did the install myself as well. It really wasn't difficult. Having some help while placing the s/c on the engine is diffinetally a plus, but the rest is easy to do solo. Make sure youhave the tools you need. Youneed an impact gun to change alternator pulley's.(take about 30seconds w/ the tool)The instruction manual has a list.
If you stay with thestock s/c pulley, the stock engine is fine. Itswhen you push up the boost that youneed to change plugs,fuel system, intake, etc......If you decide to do the install yourself, let us know, there are enough of us that have done it and can coach you along. Then you can put that extra money into suspension and tires....[sm=gears.gif]

Quick Reply: saleen s/c installation?