Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

turbo or super????

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:56 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: turbo or super????

ORIGINAL: johnnyv8

blood makes alot of good point. I never owed a sc or turbo car but i would prolly go sc for a couple of reason. At first i hated the whine noise but for now i LOVE it! second is there are a ton of big brand name sc (kenn bell, saleen, whipple, roush, etc).

btw; i know i dont know much on this subject but i was reading from fmff mag on the new big bore sc fron kb. one being the 2.8L sc that suppose to push over 1,000 hp on the 03-04 cobra motor (thats not even the gt500
Yea but consider ok that will do 1000, a Turbonetics Y2K T88 is good for 1500, and a Procharger F1R is good for 1300 and those are not their largest models. A friend of mine swaped out the KB on his 04 Cobra with a F1R and puts a little over 900 to the ground and it is not maxed out by far.

I admit a 1000 hp KB would be nice but I personaly prefer the centri blowers for extreme hp.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:06 AM
kingsmate20
1st Gear Member

Ok, I would love to push 500+ HP, but what else needs to be done to my car to get her ready? I know there are always risks regardless, but I do NOT want to destroy my engine. I have the cash to do the prep now, and the S/C this summer. I'm just doing it for street though, as I driver her to work everyday. Just want a killer Mustang.[sm=teetertooter.gif]
Old 03-17-2007, 12:47 PM
darkstang69
1st Gear Member

and what about twinturbo??????
Old 03-17-2007, 02:50 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: darkstang69

and what about twinturbo??????
Now your talking my language, seriously though if this is your daily driver I would not go crazy with the upgrades. From what you are describing I would just get one of the TS kits from KB, Whipple, or Saleen and tune to keep the rwhp under 425. This will give you plenty of performance and shouldn’t turn your motor into a grenade.
Earl

Old 03-17-2007, 05:28 PM
darkstang69
1st Gear Member

well i would like something loke this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nbBUD7kCtlw

does superchargers have blowoff? if not why does it sound like that in minute 1:32????
Old 03-17-2007, 05:53 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

If you want the sound of a blow off or waste gate valve get a turbo setup. Call Jim Napier at TurboHorsepower.com and talk to him about his new single kit. I am in the middle of installing his twin kit and he is great to work with and puts out a fine product at a good price.

Earl
Old 03-18-2007, 03:28 AM
darkstang69
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: retfr8flyr

If you want the sound of a blow off or waste gate valve get a turbo setup. Call Jim Napier at TurboHorsepower.com and talk to him about his new single kit. I am in the middle of installing his twin kit and he is great to work with and puts out a fine product at a good price.

Earl
wow i like the twin kit, but for that kit u need to change some internals in the motor?? do u want to do ur car a street car or race car?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:44 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

My car is just for fun on the street and to occasionally make a trip to the track. As far as the TT goes you can still run it on a stock block setup you just have to limit the boost and keep it around 450 rwhp. You can build your forged bottom end later and run what you want with it. I chose to do the bottom end at the same time and plan on running around 600 rwhp.

Earl
Old 03-18-2007, 11:17 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: retfr8flyr

Earl
I checked out the link. That price for a twin setup is pretty close to the price for a Hellion single. They had a writeup of the Hellion in a recent magazine article and it looked like it had a significant hp/torque deficit to stock through about 3,100 rpms.

Be interested to hear your experiences with your new set up.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:03 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2007GT/CS

I checked out the link. That price for a twin setup is pretty close to the price for a Hellion single. They had a writeup of the Hellion in a recent magazine article and it looked like it had a significant hp/torque deficit to stock through about 3,100 rpms.

Be interested to hear your experiences with your new set up.
One of the reasons I went with the twin setup is faster spool up. The TurboHorsepower kit mounts the turbo very close to head ports so you get max flow. Another reason is the way it connects to the down pipe at the stock location so you can use your stock cats or an aftermarket pipe with higher flowing cats. I live in a VA where I don’t have to worry about emissions yet but we have a state inspection and the car must pass a visual check for cats.

I did a lot of research before I went with this kit. The kit is well engineered but you have to make some sacrifices with the install as the battery has to move to the trunk and the fuse box and computer go where the battery was, this is the biggest pain of the install. I think it is the best kit available for our cars and I’m sure Jim’s single kit will be just as well engineered as the twin.

Earl