Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do Long Tube Headers make your car not emissions legal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 07:28 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Do Long Tube Headers make your car not emissions legal?

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Wow, this is the fifth thread about this in the last week or so?

Anyway:

In the USA, NO longtubes are street legal. They all violate the Clean Air Act (a FEDERAL law), becasue they move or replace the OEM cats. The law reads that you cannot replace or move the stock cats, period.

Section 203 of the US Clean Air Act, 42 US Code, Section 7522

Anyway, practially speaking, that law isn't particularly relevant. What matters most is your individual locale's inspection policy. Some places are stricter than others. But so long as you have cats you can pass a sniffer test.

Didn't I say that?
ORIGINAL: hawgman

As for the original question. Technically installing LTs will indeed violate emissions laws. Any modification to the exhaust system ( including relocating the position of the cats ) will violate the law.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:44 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Yeah, you definatley got it right Hawg, I just wanted to make it 100% clear. This topic comes up all the time despite people like you posting the correct answers.

The big problem is that people differentiate between local laws and the federal ones.

For example, my county has no smog test of any kind. So my LTs don't violate local or state laws. But the Fedaral one is a different story.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:56 AM
Iwasaricer

ORIGINAL: Iwasaricer

this is kinda off topic but from what boostaaddict said.. is it true that if you don't get any aftermarket installations "approved" by the CARB then if they find out, they can impound your car?
lol im curious
Old 03-20-2007, 04:03 AM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

That's because California doesn't have to have a state inspection for 7 years from the time of purchase.
Really? Can anyone second this?
Old 03-21-2007, 04:02 AM
cdmsaleen

I could have sworn it was only 4 years after a new car purchase that it is smog test exempt......tests begin at year 5.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:11 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: cdmsaleen

I could have sworn it was only 4 years after a new car purchase that it is smog test exempt......tests begin at year 5.
DonW and plenty others from that coast have all said that they wouldn't need inspection until 2011 ( and that is with early purchase 05s )
Old 03-21-2007, 08:12 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Yeah, you definatley got it right Hawg, I just wanted to make it 100% clear. This topic comes up all the time despite people like you posting the correct answers.

The big problem is that people differentiate between local laws and the federal ones.

For example, my county has no smog test of any kind. So my LTs don't violate local or state laws. But the Fedaral one is a different story.
I was just givin' ya a hard time Al. You are 1000% correct though. There could be 10 correct answers in a row and someone would still bottom post the incorrect one, or ask the question over.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Z16

LT in Cali are definatly a big no no, and if the inspection is done as required the tech is required to look at the cats to verify that they are there and had not been modified. The replacement of non OEM (read high flows) cats on any vehicle with less then 80k miles and under 8 years old is a violation of federal law, and this will cause a fail of the visual inspection part of the California Bi-Annual inspection.

By relocating the cats down streem to get the LT on it causes the cold start to go out of specs, the cats take way too long to get hot which will get you a sniffer fail if the car is cold when tested.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

for ten extra horsepower it sure is expensive but it isn't my car so I will shut the **** up.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:13 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cdmsaleen

DonW and plenty others from that coast have all said that they wouldn't need inspection until 2011 ( and that is with early purchase 05s )
Don't know what he's smoking, it's 4 year exemption and a smog test on the fifth, then bi-annually thereafter(both visual and sniffer) on new vehicles. When I bought a new truck in 1999, I didn't have to get a certificate until theyear 2004.

Quick Reply: Do Long Tube Headers make your car not emissions legal?