Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

fuel injection for a classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 03:59 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Default fuel injection for a classic

How hard is it to install a good working fuel injection system in our classics? I have heard that it is very hard to get the system added/working. Even with the kits it is difficult. Then you have to mess with fuel pumps and MAFS? There are a few of you out there that have FI, any comments. I would love to go with FI but have heard horror stories of countless hours dialing it in.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 03-18-2007, 04:43 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: fuel injection for a classic

your best bet is if you can get ahold of a 5.0 from a late year fox

butit will still be tricky
Old 03-18-2007, 08:16 PM
kerryH

How bad do you want one? I think these are around 7,000.00 USD

http://www.imagineinjection.com/mustang.html

Kerry
Old 03-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Bentworker
2nd Gear Member

Take a look at Mega Squirt, it is sort of the do-it-yourself fuel injection setup. I know several guys who rave about the flexibility and low cost of injecting their 2.0L BMW motors with this setup. If you have the time, a laptop,and some creativity in you, it just may work, plus it forces you to learn and understand every little thing about fuel injecting your engine.

http://www.megasquirt.info/

Old 03-18-2007, 09:54 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

It's not hard to put EFI on a classic, but it is expensive. I would suggest a aftermarket setup that involves a couple of sensors (O2, timing pickup, MAP, TPS) and the complete intake setup, and you can avoid a mass air meter to keep the cost down. There are a few companies out there that offer good setups..
Old 03-18-2007, 11:10 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

For a good plug and play system get a mass flow setup no programing needed just bolt on a run http://www.mass-floefi.com/
Old 03-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

My question is why in hell do you want to go with an FI engine set-up in the first place. You own a classic. Duhhhh! A classic has a carburetor. Damn kids..........
Old 03-18-2007, 11:31 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Like everything else, we want to make our cars better, faster, stronger, ding, ding, ding, ding, Steve.....Ah you need to be older to remember that TV show.
The carb thing is foreign to the new comer, FI is a more stable/efficient form of fuel delivery and the younger crowd including me likes the idea of a computer controlled engine..Now if its practical, well, how many times is this thread going to be started?[8D]
Old 03-18-2007, 11:39 PM
Phatboy
1st Gear Member

I also want to inject my 390 once she is built. Ive been looking for this info also. I have seriously been considering megasquirt, but Ive got alot to read on that before I tackle that system.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: LCC

Like everything else, we want to make our cars better, faster, stronger, ding, ding, ding, ding, Steve.....Ah you need to be older to remember that TV show.
The carb thing is foreign to the new comer, FI is a more stable/efficient form of fuel delivery and the younger crowd including me likes the idea of a computer controlled engine..Now if its practical, well, how many times is this thread going to be started?[8D]
I am going to move this thread to the 4.6 section since that is obviously where it belongs. This is the classic section, and classic mustangs have carburetors.

Quick Reply: fuel injection for a classic