Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Driving a manual gt

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 03:47 PM
aquajr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Driving a manual gt

funny thing. driving to school today i hit every single red light and was in stop and go traffic. everything seemed quite a bit smoother. do clutch pedals stiffen up if the carhasnt been driven in a while? the pedal seems easier to usethan when i first got it. i can't wait to put some serious mileage on the car.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

i have a hard time with it too... ive driven stick for 10 years now... and I still have a hard time... just practice... i am gonna do that 45 mph in to 3rd and see where it catches deal to perfect my shifting...
Old 03-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Iwasaricer

i wanted to try getting a manual too. i know somewhat.. but noone i know drives a manual that lives near me so i really have no way to practice. my friend won't let me touch his sti .. so anyways... what are the basic 123's of manuals?? ill say what i know so far. to start a manual... you press on the clutch pedal and turn the engine on. you switch to 1st gear and let the clutch go and accelerate. once the rpm's reach near redline i press on the clutch and switch to 2nd gear and let the clutch go and start accelerating again. and basically keep going. now... about down shifting.. im lost on downshifting HELP ME !!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:01 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

looks like you have mastered it, very nice

ORIGINAL: Iwasaricer

i wanted to try getting a manual too. i know somewhat.. but noone i know drives a manual that lives near me so i really have no way to practice. my friend won't let me touch his sti .. so anyways... what are the basic 123's of manuals?? ill say what i know so far. to start a manual... you press on the clutch pedal and turn the engine on. you switch to 1st gear and let the clutch go and accelerate. once the rpm's reach near redline i press on the clutch and switch to 2nd gear and let the clutch go and start accelerating again. and basically keep going. now... about down shifting.. im lost on downshifting HELP ME !!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Iwasaricer

is that basically it ? lol... but i dont' kow about the downshifting, when do you downsifht?
Old 03-19-2007, 07:39 PM
miltoneagle
1st Gear Member

When the cars a brand new the clutch is new, stiff and alot harder to drive. First time i learned to drive a manual was on my 07 gt. Took me a week to master; but the thing is on the new cars the clutch and shifter have to break in. Thats why it is hard for some people with new cars.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

yeah i usually shift up around 6100 rpms
Old 03-19-2007, 08:00 PM
jts
2nd Gear Member

http://www.standardshift.com/videos.html

that might help,found it somewhere else .
Old 03-19-2007, 09:57 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

downshift when rpm gets low, you will know.

let off gas, clutch, put in lower gear, slowly let off clutch, apply throttle if necessary....
Old 03-19-2007, 11:41 PM
nick_svs
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iwasaricer

once the rpm's reach near redline i press on the clutch and switch to 2nd gear and let the clutch go and start accelerating again. and basically keep going. now... about down shifting.. im lost on downshifting HELP ME !!
God damn!! You need to shift before redline (unless you're racing). I normally shift between 2700 and 3000 for normal driving. Drive an automatic, make a mental note on when the auto shifts, and then try to duplicate that in your manual.

my friend won't let me touch his sti
No ****. Just practice a little bit, don't redline it all the time, and you'll be good. Once you start to not suck, then your friend might trade with you.

Quick Reply: Driving a manual gt