Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Driving a manual gt

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:10 AM
aquajr
2nd Gear Member

Default Driving a manual gt

so i picked up my mustang last week and drove it home. problem was i'd only driven a manual in a parking lot when i 1st learned which was 4years ago. made home w/out stalling though. any tips to drive it smoothly and get max gas mileage? gotta conserve fuel for those times when my right foot feels a little heavy. i'm getting better but its still a little jerky. btw i learned in an old 4cyl accord which seemed easier to drive to smoothly.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:16 AM
nick_svs
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Driving a manual gt

Just practice with it. You'll get better. This thing can be smoother than an auto if you don't suck.

I usually shift around 2,700 or so. Seems to work pretty good for mileage. If you want gas mileage, use your head. Take it easy when accelerating, don't spin the engine too high (but don't lug it, either). Make sure your tires remain properly inflated!!

You'll get the hang of it.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:06 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Practice, Practice and more practice.Go back to that parking lot and play. Have fun.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:16 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

PRACTICE

thats all i can say. nothin i tell u is gonna help, except this.

find the engagement point, and understand that theres about 2 inches of play between the floor and the engagement. don't try and feather the clutch the whole way up. learn where it engages, and your'lll find yourself moving from the floor to that point very quickly, then letting it out slowly from there.

its all about feel.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:32 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Practice??? Sorry but he need INSTRUCTION!!!!
Get someone who knows how to drive your Mustang. Let him drive it both fast and slow. Then go to a deserted street and switch seats and pay attention to his instructions on how to release the clutch and when to give it gas. That's how I learned to drive my first Mustang and it took just a few minutes with my buddy, verses over an hour by myself!
Old 03-19-2007, 04:20 AM
Black07gt
3rd Gear Member

i learned how to drive stick in this car!! it was about45 min. after we left the dealer.it was so easy in 10 min i had it. it was only turn off 3 times only.1 i was going up hill, another i was going down hill, and the other i was gonna race. yet i may say that i feel the clutch the same way as it did when i got it the first time, it has been about 6 months now, I LOVE MAY CAR!!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:05 AM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I learned how to drive a manual with my GT also, I had my dad drive it home for me (lots of interstate and hills between dealership and home) and in less than an hour out in front of my house I had it down. Like everyone is said, just practice,as long as you have the basics down the only other thing to do is to get your own feel for the car.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:20 AM
nick_svs
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Practice??? Sorry but he need INSTRUCTION!!!!
How much instruction does it take to learn to drive a manual? If you can grasp the concept of using a clutch and shifting gears, then the rest is practice. I can see having somebody teach you the basics, but it's not like you need a weekend course in the subject.

Also, instruction won't help much in the smooth shifting department. That's something you have to develop a feel for yourself, by...practicing.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:43 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

I sucked at first too. After about a week I had it perfect.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:44 PM
acstone7
3rd Gear Member

try going like 45 mph in 4th gear engage the clutch all the way, go into 3rd and Slowly let off the clutch to find Exactly where it catches, then you can have a better understanding while up shifting as well

Quick Reply: Driving a manual gt