Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Misfire on #2...pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:08 AM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Random,multiple misfire

Well I listened to all injector's, all are clicking normal,No strong oder on any plug's,and I have cleaned the crank pulley to help rule out anything.But this code keep's poppin up for the #2 the one in the pic.(looks the same as the other's)But yes I have been feeling a slight skip at idle,and at 1200rpm the motor has a small shake,beyond that ever thing is normal.The dealership is wanting me to drop my car off and leave it over night??yea I'm not doing that!!Thats why I'm tryin to do this myself,The first and last oil change I had there the guy told me my C.V axle boot was in good shape!Thanks for helping me out here people!!
Old 03-23-2007, 02:32 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

You swapped the coil to a different position and the problem didn't follow. Have you tried swapping the plug to a different position? -Joe
Old 03-23-2007, 02:49 AM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

I'm waiting for the check light so I can see if the miss is still on #2,or see if it's on #4 where I put the coil,But yea if it's on #2 again I'm going after that plug,I should be able to let you guy's know something tomorrow,after a fun but nervous test drive. Thanks
Old 03-23-2007, 05:46 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

The CKP trigger wheel is in the front cover. There is nothing on the damper that would contribute to a misfire.......vibration maybe.......no misfire though.
You should install the updated spark plug. Ford started putting the 4.6 plug in the 5.4 because the original plug caused spark knock. Turns out the 4.6 plug caused high load, high RPM misfires. The new part number is PZT-14F. It is supposed to not break off so easily as well. This is a good place to start. Like prometheus said, the brown carbon on the shank is 100% normal. This is actually the substance that causes that part of the plug to break off in the head. I would keep following conventional misfire diag. Too bad your scanner doesn't have power balance. Then you wouldn't have to wait for the light. I don't know if it has mode six capability (OBD monitor status) - if it does you can track your misfire events per drive cycle to see if your swap is moving the miss. Coil, plug, injector. Vacuum gauge, compression, backpressure. Another accurate statement of Prometheus is that the coil on plugs generate RFI. Ask a Lincoln LS owner to testify. They were really bad about it.

Prometheus- Are you a tech? Blue oval? Or do you just do your homework? You post was likely the most technically accurate thing I have seen in this forum (that didn't come from me![8D])
Old 03-23-2007, 11:22 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Well this is the first time I have seen one of the 3V plugs out and to me that brownish/orangematter looks like rust. What cause's that discoloring then if it is normal I would like to know.

Richard
Old 03-24-2007, 01:35 AM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info on the plugs,the scanner is one of those loan a tools from AZ just for reading codes so yea I'm still waiting on that ugly light to come on.Maybe tomorrow I'll find out something(no luck? today)I'm also gonna check the air pressure in the tires,I think that might be the problem.....lol just joking, thanks guy's.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

Ok the light came on today,After switching the coil (#2 misfire)switched the plug today(still saying #2)I'm now lost!!There is a slight miss at idle but when I hold it anywhere between 1000-1400rpm there is a noticable viberation,anywhere above that it's smooth?I don't know??Could this be the fuel injector?Thanks for any input!
Old 03-24-2007, 10:27 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

Well, it sounds like you ruled out the coil pack. So, my guess would be the fuel injector or the plug itself. You might try swapping the position of the plugs next, and see if the misfire moves with it.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:45 PM
wakebord99
2nd Gear Member

Because the color of the plug was the same as the others, I can't see how the Injector could be causing the problem. In my experience the only way an injector would cause a mis-fire is if it caused a super-excessive rich condition as if the injector was suck open for 1 cycle.But if that was the case, the inject would be wet, and would smell like gas..

How about the spark-plug wires? Have you tried switching those yet?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:14 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

The CKP trigger wheel is in the front cover. There is nothing on the damper that would contribute to a misfire.......vibration maybe.......no misfire though.
You should install the updated spark plug. Ford started putting the 4.6 plug in the 5.4 because the original plug caused spark knock. Turns out the 4.6 plug caused high load, high RPM misfires. The new part number is PZT-14F. It is supposed to not break off so easily as well. This is a good place to start. Like prometheus said, the brown carbon on the shank is 100% normal. This is actually the substance that causes that part of the plug to break off in the head. I would keep following conventional misfire diag. Too bad your scanner doesn't have power balance. Then you wouldn't have to wait for the light. I don't know if it has mode six capability (OBD monitor status) - if it does you can track your misfire events per drive cycle to see if your swap is moving the miss. Coil, plug, injector. Vacuum gauge, compression, backpressure. Another accurate statement of Prometheus is that the coil on plugs generate RFI. Ask a Lincoln LS owner to testify. They were really bad about it.

Prometheus- Are you a tech? Blue oval? Or do you just do your homework? You post was likely the most technically accurate thing I have seen in this forum (that didn't come from me![8D])
Yeah I'm a tech. Youwork for Ford also? Still working on my Senior masters though,but thankx to the good old 6.4 and cut backs, most of the classes I need are currenty course requested[:@].I was finally able to get some of the new 14F's. And yes, poor LS owners .

Eleanor06-Another possibility could be the alternator emitting the RFI. I would do a ripple test. But its too bad you don't have an IDS so you could do a power balance. If you can get it toduplicate themisfire try just to unplug the alternator and see if the roughness goes away. Its really to bad you can't trust your dealership. I make it a point to take care of others cars better then I would my own. Not everyone feels or acts this way though..Mode 6 or the freezframe data from when the code is set would be the most help.

Quick Reply: Misfire on #2...pics