Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Highway Highspeed Race

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 01:26 AM
John06GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Highway Highspeed Race

Well.... I was headin home last night, and this guy in a black ___ Camaro pulled up besides me waiting at a light (I'm not sure what year or type of camaro it was, just know that it had duel exhaust and it was one of the recent modelsl; ex '99... and it was dark so I think it may have had the z28 badge) but back to the story now. So seeing that the guy is pretty young and his exhaust was amazingly loud, I had a feeling he was going to wanna race. So as we're pulling up onto the on ramp I stayed in 3rd gear going about 60 or 70. Well right when we get onto the highway the S.O.B. takes off, not giving me a fair start with him, but never-the-less I took off two and he was about a car length ahead of me. All through 3rd he stayed about a car length ahead, then when I shifted to 4th I was starting to catch him. Well about the very end of 4th gear (roughly 140-145 on the speedometer) I pass him, and right as I pass I notice he lets out of it (if you ask how i know, it's because I could no longer hear his exhaust roaring besides me). After I pass him I let out too and waited for him to get next to me. Once he did I downshifted and waited for him, but nothing happened and he just drove off.....

Overall I was glad I caught him and beat him, but I'm a little dissapointed it didn't happen sooner.... Anyone have any ideas on what I could do next to the Stang? other than F/I or Nitrous??

And yes I know racing is dangerous and you shouldn't do it.... The highway was basically empty, it was around 10:30 on a monday night, so hardly anyone was out.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:35 AM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Highway Highspeed Race

UD Pully's and suspension would help.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:37 AM
John06GT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah UD pulleys is something i've been considering... don't really know anything about them though lol. Who makes a good brand? How much? and Are there any problems I could see with them?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:38 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

well if it was one of the last years of the z28 that were made then, that definately wasnt bad. A lot of those were under-rated quite a bit i would say equivlaent to a 05+ manual gt with tune + cai = stock z28 +/- driver mod.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:39 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

as for mods, i have what is in your sig basically + long tube headers and udp's. pushing 335 to the wheels
Old 03-21-2007, 01:41 AM
John06GT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I know the recent ones are fast, a buddy of mine has an SS pushin 480 to the wheels (nothing much brother's '03 Cobra couldn't handle though) .It makes me mad though everytime I race one it's at night and they're always black.... makes it hard to see clearly lol.

And Headers are another thing on the list but same goes for them. All I know is Long Tube is the way to go, but who makes a good brand and how much do they run?

Here's the mods I've been thinkin about: UDP, LT Headers, possible gears, I'd like to cam it but heard it's expensive. and that's about it....
Old 03-21-2007, 01:47 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

oh i didnt even notice you havent done gears, they make such a huge difference its definatelywhat i would do next if i were you.

Edit: some people only see 5-6 rwhp out of udp's they are something i would do after long tubes and/or gears. As for cams if you are having a shop install them, cams plus labor can cost anywhere from 1500 about to 2500 just depending how much the shop wants to charge you...
Old 03-21-2007, 02:16 AM
John06GT
2nd Gear Member

If I got gears though, wouldn't that make my top end slower???
Old 03-21-2007, 02:27 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

definately, if your into highway racing over drag maybe not get gears then. But even with 4.10's in my car 5th gear still goes well past 150

i usually shift out of 4th at about 127ish mph
Old 03-21-2007, 06:46 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

How about some better seat belts and a d@mn nascar helmet?

Quick Reply: Highway Highspeed Race