Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

noise in the rear update

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:48 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Default noise in the rear update

So last week i posted about how if i drive over small bumps at slow speeds and what not it makes a popping like sounds in the rear of the car. Well today i figured a new way to make this sound. If i get up and go and go through all the gears and then just normally brake to about 10 mph and then Downshift to first gear, as soon as i give it a little gas it will make the popping sound twice and then thats it.. it wouldnt do it if i drove to 30mph in 2nd and then slowed down to 10mph and went to first though, i had to go through most of the gears.. Any idea what this could be or if i should even be worried about the noise? Could there be something wrong with my gears?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:57 AM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: noise in the rear update

Only thing that comes to my mind is some driveshaft or gear noise that is normal, when you downshift from 2nd to 1st the tires try to brake your car, when you give it gas, you are reversing the torque force and because there is some play between the gears and the driveshaft joints it makes some metalic noise as the torque change directions, it happen every time you downshift, but you only notice at 10mph because there is no road noise.
However excessive noise usuallymeans wear somewhere in the drivetrain. You can check this by going under your car and try turning the driveshaf by hand in both directions, and see if there is something wrong with the u joint or gears.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:25 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Hey that sound good to me ....if it is right then great write up!
Old 03-30-2007, 04:27 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

yea ill have to get down there and twist it to see. The noise doesnt really sound normal, sounds kinda like if someone got something andhit it hard against my bumper twice. Ill look at it more tomorrow
Old 03-30-2007, 01:45 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

yea ill have to get down there and twist it to see. The noise doesnt really sound normal, sounds kinda like if someone got something andhit it hard against my bumper twice. Ill look at it more tomorrow
If you do so, take the opportunity to retightenevery nut and bolt you can find,
Old 03-30-2007, 02:59 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I just like to say that there is no play in the driveshaft joints. There is play between the transmission and rearend. If you get under your car with it on a lift of rear wheels on ramps you can turn the driveshaft a half inch or so before the rear axles engage.

ORIGINAL: jrm1900

Only thing that comes to my mind is some driveshaft or gear noise that is normal, when you downshift from 2nd to 1st the tires try to brake your car, when you give it gas, you are reversing the torque force and because there is some play between the gears and the driveshaft joints it makes some metalic noise as the torque change directions, it happen every time you downshift, but you only notice at 10mph because there is no road noise.
However excessive noise usuallymeans wear somewhere in the drivetrain. You can check this by going under your car and try turning the driveshaf by hand in both directions, and see if there is something wrong with the u joint or gears.