Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2006 gto or 2007 mustang gt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2006 gto or 2007 mustang gt?

when they first came out with the GTO I couldn't believe it didn't have dual exhaust. and tell me what were they thinking with the flat grille? FUGLY!! thank god they got sum sense and changed to duals and vents on the hood. still got that FUGLY *** grille though.

PS the GTO is a beast though. So to each his own, just dont go rice
Old 04-02-2007, 08:45 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

The GTO has a lot of HP and yea it is fast. But think what can you do to a GTO to make it a good looking car. If you want to change the looks or the performance of the Mustang just google Mustang parts you can look for days at aftermarket parts. Try that with the GTO.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:51 PM
jonpo
2nd Gear Member

So what did the guys on the GTO forum tell you??? I bet everyone told you to get a GTO, right?91% of us on here said to get a Mustang.You should probably getan unbiased opinion. Cuz we all love our Mustangs and I'm sure they all love their GTOs (although Mustangs are waaaaaayyyyyy better!)
Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Vic gtcs

the gto is a grand am on steroids , you want a real car buy a mustang!
Old 04-06-2007, 10:42 AM
kthulhu
1st Gear Member

I'll chime in with the pessimists perspective:

If you buy the Mustang, you'll spend your days thinking you should have bought the faster car.
If you buy the GTO, you always wish you had the better looking car.

See? Either way your doomed.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jonpo

So what did the guys on the GTO forum tell you??? I bet everyone told you to get a GTO, right?91% of us on here said to get a Mustang.You should probably getan unbiased opinion. Cuz we all love our Mustangs and I'm sure they all love their GTOs (although Mustangs are waaaaaayyyyyy better!)
LOL! Heres a shocker! BUY THE GT!!!!

Really, I mean no offense by this post, just an opinion. I consider myself a mustang enthusiast. My first car was an '89 FoxbodyLX. I LOVE these cars and in my mind there was no other decision to make. Either you love the cars or you dont. There was no ther decision to make when I got things right to get a new car. If one wants a Mustang, buy a Mustang. Same with the GTO. I bought my GT because I wanted a GT. I didnt buy it because it was faster than another car. I didnt buy it because it looked better than a particular car. I didnt buy it to have "bragging rights" over any other cars out there. I still drool when I see a GT500 or a PJ Saleen!! I bought it because I have wanted a Mustang GT since I was 15 years old. Took 17 years but I finally got her. I plan on modding her out a little and playing some but I dontplan on taking her to the track, or racing a bunch of cars on the street. I bought the GT for my enjoyment. I dont really care what others think of it(except true ricers). Yeah, the interior on the GT could be better...Yeah, the exterior could be better on the GTO. It all comes down to what makes you happy. My GT makes me happy!! I plan on having it until I can pass it on to a son!! Im 33, so that will be a while. For me it was a no brainer. There has been alot of good advice posted here. Just voicing my 2 cents worth. I hope this helps in your decision.

Good luck
Old 04-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: v6VenoM

when they first came out with the GTO I couldn't believe it didn't have dual exhaust. and tell me what were they thinking with the flat grille? FUGLY!! thank god they got sum sense and changed to duals and vents on the hood. still got that FUGLY *** grille though.

PS the GTO is a beast though. So to each his own, just dont go rice
It did have dual exhaust. The two tips simply exited on the same side of the rear bumper.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:06 PM
therobman7
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sumguy30

I struggled with this too. Honestly I've only driven a Mustang and never a GTO. The more and more I looked into it, the less I liked GTO. Yes, it has more power than Mustang but its sooooooooooooo UGLY. Mustangs are more popular and seem to have a better resale value.
I have to agree. I had the same problem. I believe the 05 GTO has the same motor and you can get them for pretty cheap, if that ends up your option. Also, you should be able to find the 06 GTO for cheaper than an 07 mustang. I also have to agree that the interior of the GTO is much nicer. I obviously went with the mustang because an interior and price doesn't make up for the sheer "badassness" of the mustang. 400hp doesn't mean much, because GTO rearends don't hook up for $hit.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:16 PM
swooshpimp
1st Gear Member

First of all I will not acknowledge the so called "GTO" as a real "GTO" - anybody who loves old school muscle cars knows thats not a GTO but just some car with the badge. With that said it is a cool lookin 2-Door Coupe and thats what I refer to it as. Personally since I have 2 Mustangs I couldnt go for the 2-Door Coupe - sure it might have more power but thats about were it ends. Visually there is no comparison to the Mustang, aftermarket wise business just love the Mustang and I like the interior better as well. However as in life to each his own.....
Old 04-06-2007, 05:21 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

If your only concern in power, the GTO has the edge (stock). However, \unless you're gonna race at the track, anything more than the GTs 300 hp is just gonna get you more speeding tickets.

If you want the whole package - power, styling, aftermarket mods, passerby stares and comments- GT hands down.

Quick Reply: 2006 gto or 2007 mustang gt?