Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need instructions to replace shocks/struts

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 12:02 AM
jmsurpri
1st Gear Member

Default Need instructions to replace shocks/struts

I got my Tokico's in the mail today. I'd like to see if it's something I can do myself (except for the spring change). Anyone have step-by-step instructions on replacing the stocks/struts on an 05 GT? Pictures would be nice too.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2007, 06:06 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need instructions to replace shocks/struts

IT is really very simple. The easiest is with air tools.

Put the vehicle up on jack stands. Not too high as you won't need to crawl underneath very much.

Take off all four wheels

On the front, there is one bolt holding the sway bar in place,remove this bolt and set it aside. There are two bolts at the bottom of the strut, remove these. There are 4 smaller bolts holding the strut to the car. Remove those and do the same to the other side. Take your struts with springs attached to the shop that will switch them out. They should only charge $30-40 for this at the most. Ask them before hand.

For the rear, the shocks are only held in at two places. One bolt on the bottom and what but in the trunk. It easier to do the passenger side through the back seat if you have the shaker 1000. You will also need to remove one bolt from the rear sway bar on each side to replace the springs. These springs are not compressed and you can take them right out yourself. Put new springs and shocks in. Make sure you put the spring isolators and rubbersback in place (I lost mine briefly). Put the rear end back together. You should have bought an adjustable pan hard bar, if you did I will give more instructions. It's pretty easy.

Go back to shop, pick up springs/shocks and put'em back in the same order you took them out. You should have a torque wrench to properly set the nuts/bolts.

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:03 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Those are pretty good instructions...although without torque numbers.....

However, I would like to add an addendum to that.....
Go to Sears...get yourself a spring compressor for $20...and save the trip to another shop to do the springs on the front....
Old 04-06-2007, 07:10 PM
jmsurpri
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the instructions. Do you have the torque numbers? Are there any other gotchas? I read on another thread that the bolts might be one-time use. Should I buy new ones or just put on some lock-tite? When jacking up the rear, can I use the axle as jack points or probably not since I need to let the axle hang?