Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Non-itercooled supercharger on meth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:35 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Non-itercooled supercharger on meth?

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

I don't like Vortech and Paxton's intercoolers.
Why? Just curious, since I'm thinking of getting the Vortech air-to-water aftercooler.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:31 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I prefer to have all incoming air feed my radiator rather than another cooler. It's also that much more weight up front and up high. Like i said, with the Powerdyne you also don't have to tap your oil pan.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:47 PM
03Cobra05GT
1st Gear Member

I'm sorry but Powerdyne is one of the worst s/c you could ever think of putting on your car. I'm not trying to be a dick just dont want to see you waste time and money. Just save a little more money and get a good supercharger. Also in the future if you want to do more...it limits you with I believe a 9psi limit on the PD s/c.

For OP...Honestly, I wouldn't recommend the meth kit on these cars. I've seen it done on these as well, but there are some serious things to consider. Just one for example is if you end up tuning the car according to it running on meth, and something happens and the meth stops spraying/working, now the car is tuned for it and not getting it. Especially if you up the timing based on the fact that meth bascailly increases your octane lvls. So if you tune the car to say run off of 93 octane gas+ meth so lets say 100 octane now, and the meth stops working = boom. IMHO just get an intercooler and you willhave less to worry about.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:15 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

those are some uninformed statements and are misleading.

first of all, you are correct that there is a limit to how much boost the Powerdyne can produce. The important thing is that it has been proven over and over that these motors are time bombs above 450 hp - so why do you need one that goes that high?

second, read up on Snow Performance's meth kits. There are protections available in case juice runs out at boost. You can also use washer fluid (contains methanol) or even straight water in a pinch. Considering that boost from a centrifugal comes on late, you wont be using much around town, so how friggin hard is it to check your fluid level occasional? after a few passes at the drag strip? after a run session at the road course? when you get gas?

In the past Powerdyne's had issues with belt breakage, which has been resolved. overhaul is some bearings and a belt and can be done at home easily (I rebuilt mine on my fox).

They are an excellent blower for someone on a budget that understands to only expect about 100hp increase or so, which dollar for dollar is better than any kit out there.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:33 PM
03Cobra05GT
1st Gear Member

I'm very familiar with Snow Per. kits. Spoke many times with gentlemen from that company. I also did research. Hell, I ALMOST put one on my car.

And yes, I KNOW that around450+rwhpthe 05+ are time bombs. I blew a rod through my block @ 473rwhp.

I always do research and testing when I have the oppurtunity.

You can get a tuner kit from Vortech or Paxton with just about the same stuff the PD offers you for around the same price, and you aren't limited. Besides, you can actually get a FULL Vortech kit for around $3100. $400-$500 over the PowerDyne.

Point is, why spend the money when maybe in the future, you want to do more with the car, but now you have to buy yet another s/c because the one you have can't give you anything more?

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer
In the past Powerdyne's had issues with belt breakage, which has been resolved. overhaul is some bearings and a belt and can be done at home easily (I rebuilt mine on my fox).
I'm sorry but when I spend thousands on a product, I don't expect to have to overhaul ANY part of it in my garage.

Just google powerdyne supercharger reviews and see for yourself what is said about them. Like I said, not trying to be a dick, just trying to give some sound advice.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:49 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

the poor reviews are from the past and people on the typical forum bandwagons. half the people on these things don't know what they're talking about.

hhmmm - you blew your motor? maybe because of too much boost?

the Vortech and Paxton units draw oil from the pan - you know this. When you have a warranty issue a Powerdyne is much easier to remove before going to the dealer.

i'll enjoy my 400 reliable horsepower while the rest of you blow your motors.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:25 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Don't talk bad about it if you aren't/haven't running one. I have a Powerdyne, and you know, i'm happy with it! It was cheap, and my car is still a daily driver. Only problem was the crappy install instuctions (and my Walbro fuel pump that failed).

~Fred