Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Nitrous kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Default Nitrous kit Questions

I've been thinking about supercharging my 07 GT (Autotrans.).
But due to the fact that we dont have many highways and that traffic's a b***h it'd just be lost power except for the days at the track.
So instead i'm considering adding a Nitrous kit from Zex.
I have 0 experience with this so i'd appreciate any input.

What mods do i need to support 100+ shot nitrous?
How many shots can i use without modding?
Do i need a special tune?
If you, do i really need to restart the car and load the other tune beforei can use it?
And when i'm done using it, do i have to restart the car again to load my 91 oct. tune again?
How much hp gain will i get out of a 75shot?

Don't know if i'm asking the right questions so if you have any info i might need by all means.. inlighten me lol.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:37 PM
rick98gt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Nitrous kit Questions

I ran a Zex 75 shot on my 98...I had the following :bottle heater,window switch,fuel pressure safety,purge,one step colder plugs....You should be OK with a 75 shot ,one step colder plugs and stock tune.Anything larger get aZEX tune when you plan onrunning the sauce.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:41 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Use the search button...

https://mustangforums.com/m_1355151/tm.htm
Old 04-07-2007, 04:10 PM
bluepony06

I just put the Zex kit on my car with 100 shot. I have a bottle opener, purge kit, Autolite HTO spark plugs, and bottle warmer. I have two separate tunes for my car. I have my 93 octane tune with my JLT Intake. I then would have to shut my car off and load my nitrous tune if I want to run the bottle. You can check out my sig for the rwhp numbers. I am working on scanning the two sheets to post them. The torque was in the 470s with putting down 377 at the wheels. I just had it done this weekso I have yet to run the nitrous tune other then on the dyno.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:19 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

There are a couple solutions for the 'two tunes' problem.

One is pretty pricey as it onvolves running two of the newer MSD controllers to retard the spark when the solenoids kick on. Didn't look into this more as the expense was prohibitive.

The other I saw some guys kicking around used a device between the solenoid power and the computer. It sent a signal to the computer that mimicked a 'high inlet temperature' condition (like 200 degrees). You could then have one performance tune loaded that when it sees this condition (which shouldn't happen N/A in real life) it retards the spark a couple degrees.

These guys were talking about patenting it. It really is a brilliant idea.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:31 PM
JibStyle
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2007GT/CS

There are a couple solutions for the 'two tunes' problem.

One is pretty pricey as it onvolves running two of the newer MSD controllers to retard the spark when the solenoids kick on. Didn't look into this more as the expense was prohibitive.

The other I saw some guys kicking around used a device between the solenoid power and the computer. It sent a signal to the computer that mimicked a 'high inlet temperature' condition (like 200 degrees). You could then have one performance tune loaded that when it sees this condition (which shouldn't happen N/A in real life) it retards the spark a couple degrees.

These guys were talking about patenting it. It really is a brilliant idea.
I've read FredTT's nistrous oxide FAQ a couple times, and i've considered eventually getting the zex kit, but i have also been wondering how i can safely get my the car to retard the spark and w/e else is necessary when i want to run nitrous, without having to shut off the engine. does anyone know where i can find more information on the two methods 2007GT/CS just mentioned, especially the second one? if i went with nitrous, i would go with at least a 100shot, so i dont think it would be safe to simply run the stock tune all the time
Old 04-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Read the Nitrous FAQ a few times now
still have a few other questions though:

Do you have to switch the normal spark plugs back after putting in the retarded ones for the nitrous?

I'm planning on running a atleast 125hp?..this means i have to get a fuel pump right...
i'm not planning on using the nitrous often...is it ok to leave the fuel pump?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

i'm only planning on using the nitrous kit a few days every 2 months (during track events).
Do i leave everything...the whole set up..or do i switch back to stock after use...?..
how easy is it to consistently switch?..And when switch which parts can u just leave ,..and use also as a daily driver?
Old 04-07-2007, 11:51 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mellowdien

Read the Nitrous FAQ a few times now
still have a few other questions though:

Do you have to switch the normal spark plugs back after putting in the retarded ones for the nitrous?

I'm planning on running a atleast 125hp?..this means i have to get a fuel pump right...
i'm not planning on using the nitrous often...is it ok to leave the fuel pump?
You do not have to switch your plugs back to a 'normal' heat range when you are not running nitrous.

The need to upgrade your fuel delivery system to run a 125 shot is the matter of some debate. You should consult whoever is going to do your nitrous tune.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:07 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

It all depends on the fuel pressure you are getting in high rpms while on the button. If the pressure is ok then you dont, but if you see the pressure dropping then yes

Andrew

Quick Reply: Nitrous kit Questions